2551 FUT with Dr. Chao

voxman

Hello all,

Long time lurker here...a bit about me - 64 years old - thinning since my 30's so I figured 30 years is long enough to wait before I take the 'plunge'. Being 64 puts me squarely in the 'Beatle era' which means I went through the 'hair wars' in my teen years - fighting with Mom and Dad and High School about my hair. Crew cuts were the name of the game back then until we all let it grow out. So even though I am now an old crotchety guy, I still want my hair.

I visited many clinics in the past 10 years - from the mills to the one-off guys, but I settled on Dr. Chao in Redondo Beach. I've read the reviews here and walked into his office with eyes wide open. Of course, I had the obligatory consultation with Rob D'Angelo which was at no time high-pressure, close the deal. Rob was more concerned about MY expectations and whether HairLab was right for me.

By the way, I can be long winded as I am a writer so if you're looking for soft short post, this is not it.

I tell ya, that Rob's got a head full of hair to be proud (probably courtesy of Dr. Chao) and he's a businessman that has found his niche. Flat Rate Pricing may be controversial in some professions - I can see it certainly is in the HT industry - but coming from a contracting service background, it has a lot of advantages and seems to work for these guys.

CAVEAT EMPTOR - Buyer beware - please do your own research and feel confident in it. HairLab's website and social media presence is certainly not all that attractive and very generic. It is what it is and as long as Rob and Dr. Chao can properly read their P&L statements and run a clean and lean operation, kudos to them.

Anyway, that all said, I had my FUT on 2/21/2014. I'm 49 days Post-Op, 7 weeks, and I feel that I need to just get involved here at the discussion boards and share.

The procedure was very smooth, we built a nice age-appropriate (ouch) hairline I was happy with, I had minimal pain, absolutely no swelling, and all the post-op after care has been boringly *normal*.

The experience is one thing, the results another - and this is a results oriented community by it's very nature - so I will keep posting follow ups. I made a matrix picture for all -

For today, there's not much more to report as I enter the wait and see period for a couple of months.

Your mileage many vary but so far, so good.!

5b32de5fee886_4weekpics.jpg.bc397c0168be1e51859b2239523497b2.jpg

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Vox,

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story. Look forward to updates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I did have something to add - with all the posts about FUT scars, this is my scar after 7 weeks. I think it's pretty clean and thin after just this time.

IMG_0623.JPG.8bbb8f83d6e37a1444331bc2f6327e87.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Just 11 weeks into this and I went to my Barber for a shave this morning. He could tell some changes were apparent already! 11 weeks today . Snapped this in the car. For a guy that's 64 years old, I think this will be exactly what I want once it's all in!

hairphoto.jpg.04ee42cf0fda732d645bc74b407d5ee2.jpg