What are the causes of Seborrheic Dermatitis?

sheraz104

Seborrheic dermatitis (not to be confused with the dry type of dandruff) is actually "caused" by genetics and for the most part it's inherited.

An exception would be SD triggered by a HT and over-activated sebaceous glands, or by some medicine that makes your scalp produce more oil.

Typical treatment comprises rotated use of medicated shampoos containing active ingredients such as ketoconazole, piroctone olamine, salicylic acid, coal tar, colloidal sulfur etc. Tea tree oil also works for some.

Topical steroids are what most dermatologists initially prescribe, but are only good at removing scaling after it occurs and in some cases will eventually thin out the skin where applied so you have to be careful with these.

So for most of us the best we can do to treat is to keep the scalp clean and oil free - yeast and bacteria feed on these oils and irritate the scalp leading to dandruff - and experiment with various shampoos and topicals to treat it.

In addition to shampoos some people use apple cider vinegar on their scalp and I have even heard of diluted lemon juice.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hmm... I'm a non-smoker so not sure about that but I doubt it

may want to check with a doctor though

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

My surgeon recommended that I alternate between Nizoral, Neutrogena T-Gel and Neutrogena T-Sal, using each twice a week, taking a day off for the seventh day of the week and using my preferred shampoo. Once things are under control he suggested I consider using each of these once a week along with my shampoo on the other days.

I substituted Regenepure for Nizoral due to the things I've read about it causing shedding. I'm about three weeks into this regiment and things have gotten better, but not entirely cleared up.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I didn't have seborrheic dermatitis before starting finasteride, it started to appear on the scalp and face after 4 months into fin, I'm afraid that fin might be the cause and i'm thinking of stopping fin and see if it gets better!.

If it turns out to be Fin causing this then what are the chances that I would get the same side effect if I get on Dut?

Edited by sheraz104

I have had a similar experience, Fin (1.25mg Proscar) didn't cause mine but it made it worse by making my scalp more oily and greasy and causing a nastier type of seborrheic dermatitis.

Try lowering your dose first before getting on DUT. I asked a similar question if DUT would also cause more seborrhea, but in actuality we will not know until we try it individually, these drugs affect each of us differently.

go dense or go home

I have had a similar experience, Fin (1.25mg Proscar) didn't cause mine but it made it worse by making my scalp more oily and greasy and causing a nastier type of seborrheic dermatitis.

Try lowering your dose first before getting on DUT. I asked a similar question if DUT would also cause more seborrhea, but in actuality we will not know until we try it individually, these drugs affect each of us differently.

Yes, I think I had it before Fin without knowing and it was never painful and the flare would show up only once in several months and scales used to be whitish and small but now it flares up atleast twice a week and the scales are gigantic and oilier. it's painful to even run a comb through hair.

How did you deal with it when u found that it's the Fin making your SD worse?

Did your SD get better on DUT?

There is no information on the internet about Fin making SD worse and the doctors also do not seem to know about it. I think you are the only person who can guide me to make better decisions.

Yesterday I had my last pill of Fin and i'm gonna give it a break of 2 weeks to see the response.

Thanks

If you have any hard scaling you gotta make it soft before brushing the hair, or you could lose hair from traction.

Soak in a bath, or if you have to use the topicals to make it softer and just use them until it goes away or lessens - betamethasone valerate works well.

This shampoo is good too:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174721-eucerin-dermo-capillaire-calming-shampoo-dandruff-shampoo-off-days.html

The worst part of my hairloss was losing hair in my early 20's to hard scaling in the hairline before I knew what the hell seborrheic dermatitis was. Was damn shocking.

Good news is any hair that is loss should grow back unless it's lost due to MPB.

I took Fin for 2 1/2 years the first time, long enough to evaluate it's effect on my hair and my SD.

I also restarted it again for 3 months, I quit because I already had hair transplants and Fin makes me shed no question about it.

If you quit Fin, be prepared to lose the hair you had gained on it and also notice how oily your scalp is.

If the oilness gets better right away it's likely due to Fin, if it continues than likely not due to the medicine. Keep an eye on the scalp oil and decide.

Yes and you are right most doctors will just say "stay on it."

go dense or go home

If you have any hard scaling you gotta make it soft before brushing the hair, or you could lose hair from traction.

Soak in a bath, or if you have to use the topicals to make it softer and just use them until it goes away or lessens - betamethasone valerate works well.

This shampoo is good too:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174721-eucerin-dermo-capillaire-calming-shampoo-dandruff-shampoo-off-days.html

The worst part of my hairloss was losing hair in my early 20's to hard scaling in the hairline before I knew what the hell seborrheic dermatitis was. Was damn shocking.

Good news is any hair that is loss should grow back unless it's lost due to MPB.

I took Fin for 2 1/2 years the first time, long enough to evaluate it's effect on my hair and my SD.

I also restarted it again for 3 months, I quit because I already had hair transplants and Fin makes me shed no question about it.

If you quit Fin, be prepared to lose the hair you had gained on it and also notice how oily your scalp is.

If the oilness gets better right away it's likely due to Fin, if it continues than likely not due to the medicine. Keep an eye on the scalp oil and decide.

Yes and you are right most doctors will just say "stay on it."

My whole scalp isn't that oily it's just those areas affected by SD that feel waxy when touched. I've been through Fin shed and my hair are starting to improve and it's gonna be really depressing losing all these gains!. If my SD improves then I'll try with 0.25mg of fin.

How long did it take for your SD to get better after quitting Fin?

yeah in your case might be best to reduce your dosage as I mentioned above or space out the dosages during the week to see if it improves the condition,

the greasiness of my scalp went away 5 days after stopping Fin and has not returned, my SD is chronic all my life, is better when my scalp is not greasy

go dense or go home

yeah in your case might be best to reduce your dosage as I mentioned above or space out the dosages during the week to see if it improves the condition,

the greasiness of my scalp went away 5 days after stopping Fin and has not returned, my SD is chronic all my life, is better when my scalp is not greasy

As our response to Fin is similar, I want to know a couple of more things.

you have a successful hair transplant without using Fin. My understanding is that the transplant doesn't work without Fin(or any other DHT blocker) as hair loss is progressive and you need to be on a DHT blocker to halt further hair loss. Transplant is the primary reason i'm taking Fin so that by the time i'm 25 (21 now) I could have enough hair to have a decent hair transplant. I'm thinning in NW6 pattern. what are your thoughts on it?

My hair on the sides and back also started thinning when MPB hit me at 15. It wasn't that bad before Fin but now it's all see through and most of my SD is on the sides (around the ears) and on the crown. It's like Fin improved hair on top and negatively impacted the hair on the sides or maybe these hair on the sides were going to thin with or without Fin. Do you think that Fin had any impact on the hair on your sides and back?

Thanks

Fin works for helping to maintain the crown and vertex (mid-scalp) in most people.

My area of balding & thinning was in the front around NW3, I've had a total of 4000 plus grafts in the front so I'm not worried about losing these to MPB and my vertex and crown remain good for my age.

That being said, I tried Fin for 2 1/2 years after my first big HT in 2010, it made my crown and vertex even thicker, but I don't think it helped my front which was already transplanted.

If you're thinning NW6 pattern you should try to stay on Fin, but in some people I have read that Fin can actually accelerate hairloss. Those who experience accelerated hairloss also complain of greasy scalp and increased oilness on Fin.

I think Fin affects each of us differently, try to stay on it but watch your scalp and hair and changes and make the decision best for your case.

go dense or go home

I took my last pill of Fin on Saturday and things are starting to improve and pain has also significantly reduced. Today I visited a hair transplant Doc and he said that in his 12 year of experience he has never seen a single patient reporting this side effect from Fin. I'm confused but I'll wait for a week to see how the things go!

• 3 years later...
I always have had this but it has gotten worse these days, I want to treat it. So, is there any effective treatment beside topical steroids?

Hey sheraz104!

To share my experience. It all started last year when I was in final year of MBA. I was studying at Pailan College of Management & Technology. I stayed in girls hostel. It was not well maintained. Almost a decade ago it was painted. So, by the time I reached my final sem it looked like a hunted place. Though we were provided with individual bed and cupboard, we friends shared everything. Only once or twice a month we use to clean. That was all because of monthly inspection. One day I found my head to be itchy. I didn't mind much because I thought that it might be due to dirt. On next day, when I washed my head I noticed a huge hair fall. On concerning doctor, I found it to be seborrheic dermatitis. The main cause for it was lack of cleanness and sharing things like comb, soap or any personal thing in that matter. Right now, I'm very thankful to Dr Anand Roy (dermatologist) of Fortis kolkata who recommended this seborrheic dermatitis solution. I recovered within two weeks. I found it to be very effective and didn't notice any side effects. Apart from Anand's suggestion, I've tried home remedies like coconut oil, oatmeal, aleo vera and honey but these are not effective for quick recovery. I'll recommend you to try it out. Share the results.