traansplanted hair life cycle

Hi all

I have a few posers to put to you good people.

my transplanted hair all 3331 grafts, how long will they last , I mean what percentage will i lose over the years, will i eventually go back to my pre HT state ?

Also If I am taking finestride & I stopped, would this effect my transplanted hair ? I mean will I lose that too.

cheers

Bytes

Hi all

I have a few posers to put to you good people.

my transplanted hair all 3331 grafts, how long will they last , I mean what percentage will i lose over the years, will i eventually go back to my pre HT state ?

Also If I am taking finestride & I stopped, would this effect my transplanted hair ? I mean will I lose that too.

cheers

Bytes

I don't think you will ever go back to your pre-HT state of coverage, unless you have some pre-existing hairs (non-HT) that you lose. To say it more simply, lets say you have 100 hairs in an area, and you get a transplant that brings the number up to 200. If you lose all of those pre-existing hairs, you are back down to 100 again (but those are all grafts now).

Every once in a while a guy's grafts do not grow even though the doctor did everything right, this is considered extremely rare and is not understood yet. Your grafts are growing, you do not need to worry about this.

Regarding how long the grafts last, some guys have a more stable donor area than others. I have had some thinning in my donor area, (meaning that some of my old grafts have thinned out as well). Other guys may or may not have this happen, it depends on the guy. If you are destined to go to Norwood 6 or 7 it is possible to have thinning of the donor area (I don't know about lower Norwood levels).

Look at this guy for an example of a thinned donor area. If he had gotten a transplant as a young man, his grafts would have thinned out like his donor area did. (This is from Dr. Swinehart's book "Color Atlas of Hair Restoration Surgery"). Obviously, not every guy will thin out in the donor area like this fellow, but this illustrates what can happen with some guys.

[This message was edited by arfy on January 08, 2004 at 12:56 PM.]

thindonor.jpg.1577a9d8547b34e1ac0f9c27ed1c2422.jpg