PRP vs HT

ivinn

Hi All,

I'm a new member to this forum & would need your advise.

I'm with a Norwood 3 vertex stage of hair loss.

I visited Dr Venkataram Mysore clinic in Bangalore, India.

He suggested me of 2 types of treatments.

1.PRP (Non Surgical) with micro needling and 2. FUT (Surgical HT with 1300 grafts in the front & 1200 grafts on the crown).

Please advise is PRP a safe procedure to stimulate Hair growth?

what are the pro's n cons of the same.

Also advise how is Dr Venkatram Mysore of Charmalaya (Bangalore, India).

Thanks

Edited by ivinn
Minor Changes

ivinn,

Welcome! I have to say that this is the first time I can recall someone suggesting PRP as an alternative to hair transplant surgery. PRP is normally offered as an adjunct to surgical hair restoration. However, its hair growth ability is still unproven.

For more on PRP, see the article, Is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) an Effective Hair Loss Treatment?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

When PRP was first introduced to the forum it was being presented as a hopeful remedy for hair regrowth. But no one saw the type of results they were hoping for, so as David suggested it became an adjunct to HT procedures. Some clinics report seeing patients experience earlier healing and growth. I think it's worth the extra few hundred dollars to have it done during surgery, but as a standalone-procedure not so much.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks a lot for your inputs David/ Hairthere.

Would you be able to suggest good clinics in Southern India for HT? I live in bangalore India & wanted to know who are good in this region.

Thanx

I know of a patient who had 3 sessions of PRP and spent $8k. Was heart broken after seeing no improvement and wished he had invested the money in hair transplant. I wouldn't even spend a dime on PRP, even as an add on to a hair transplant surgery. I rather save that money for future touch ups.

Currently, the only hair transplant surgeons we recommend in India are, Dr. Pathuri Madhu and Dr. Radha Palakurthi,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website