Gray Hair Causes and Treatments By Dr. Mike Meshkin

Gray Hair, Causes and Treatments

BY: Dr. Mike Meshkin

Why does hair turn gray?

Hair gets its color from pigment called melanin that is produced by specialized cells called melanocytes in the hair follicle. What melanins are produced, and in what quality, is determined by genes inherited from one's parents. At some point in a person's life, the melanocytes may begin to produce less melanin, or stop producing melanin altogether. When melanin production slows or stops, hair begins to lose its color and the result is decreased pigmentation in gray hair or total absence of pigmentation in white hair.

Can gray hair be transplanted?

That is a question often asked when a person with graying or gray hair begins to experience hair loss due to androgentic alopecia, a condition commonly called male or female pattern hair loss.

The answer is ' yes, gray hair can be transplanted as safely and successfully as hair of any color.' A misconception about gray hair is that when hair turns gray it is no longer healthy hair. If this was true then gray hair would not be suitable for transplantation. The rational for transplantation is to remove healthy hair follicles to an area of hair loss where they can 'take root' and continue to produce healthy hair. Transplantation of gray hair is successful because gray hair has healthy hair follicles.

Are there any treatments available to prevent hair from turning gray?

There is no specific treatment available , however it is believed that biotin and folic acid which are B complex vitamins may help in keeping the hair from turning gray .

Dr. Meshkin is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Yeh, my hair would be grey but I use a product called silvercheck which I have found to be great (Im not selling this I just like it cz it works and is easy). Theres probably other similar products but I have found this one really good for my hair. Its exactly like hair conditioner, non staining and you just rub it through your hair once every couple of days. It dries quickly leaving hair soft and healthy looking and your hair stays the natural colour. Theres a website if you want to have a look. I tried dye once. never again.just a pain and then the grey grows in and you have to do it again. cheers

sunny