Vito C. Quatela, MD: 52-year-old female 1,800 graft FUT

This 52-year-old female patient first came to us in 2010 seeking a hair transplant to fill in the area at the nape of her neck, where she had sustained hair loss resulting from radiation performed in 1985 to treat Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The patient’s primary concern was to be able to wear her hair up without the area of loss being so obvious. Her hair density was very thin overall. Because the area of hair loss was in the typical donor area, grafts were harvested using the strip technique to bilateral areas above the ears. The patient underwent an 1,800 graft follicular unit transfer, which consisted of 56% single hair grafts, 37% two hair grafts, and 7% three hair grafts. Using the stick and place method, we concentrated on creating more density across the entire area from ear to ear using the two and three hair grafts. Single grafts were used along the nape of the neck to incorporate the wispy fringe she had occurring naturally. The patient was very pleased with her results and plans to return for a second session to improve density further.

5b32dcfc3d352_HTNJan2014beforeafter.gif.b920de62c43b1cd3497f403fb69756f4.gif

Dr. Quatela,

Thanks for sharing such and interesting case. It's always gratifying to see hair transplant surgery improving the lives of cancer survivors.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website