Hair loss treatment while pregnant

cimbom

Hello,

Not sure if you all still remember me but I posted quite frequently around this time last year. I had hair transplant surgery performed by Dr Wong in Jan 2013 and I'm getting some good growth. I think I will see final results within a few months as my hair is quite long.

I was just wondering if any members on here knew about how androgenic alopecia manifests during pregnancy? Does it slow down or get worse? I'm taking Androcur which I have read is unsafe during pregnancy and I'm very worried about going off it as I have noticed increases in shedding even when I have been 1-2 weeks late in taking it. I can imagine the loss after not taking it for a year would be quite severe!

I would appreciate any knowledge or tips about this.

Hello,

I'm a 28 yo female and I'm currently taking Androcur to manage genetic hair loss. This is contraindicated in pregnancy. I was just wondering if any alternatives exist to this medication that would be safe to take? Also, does anyone know how existing hair loss manifests during pregnancy - would it increase or stabilize?

Cim,

Normally, any drug that affects androgen hormones (testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, etc) is VERY contraindicated in pregnancy. I don't believe you will be able to find a drug "similar" to Androcur that is also safe for use in pregnancy. However, this is a question only your OB/GYN can - and should - answer.

Some women report increased shedding during the first trimester and an abrupt "postpartum effluvium" (postpartum shedding). However, this will likely vary between patients. Again, I think it is imperative that you discuss these issues with your physician.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Blake. I will definitely be speaking to my OB-GYN about it. I did ask about it briefly in the past and she said that existing hair loss seems to stabilize during pregnancy but that pregnancy-related shedding can occur in other woman. I may need to investigate this further as it seems a bit too good to be true!