Advice on Propecia and starting off dosing please guys

Greg187

Hi all

Right, I am 31 years of age and over the last 18 months have now had two hair transplants (FUE) with approximately 3,000 grafts at the hairline and frontal third and approx. 900 for the crown. My last procedure was in October so awaiting the results of course as early days.

I have been using Regaine Foam for over 2 years now and I believe it has helped. It started regrowing a little hair at my temples before the first HT. I have also been using RegenePure DR twice a week, taking Wellmans Trichology tablets and also on 320mg Saw Palmetto capsule a day for two months. I also take Green Tea Extract.

Now the big question, do I take Fin? I am PETRIFIED of the potential side effects because I had a bad experience with a drug called Roaccutane which left me with some lingering long term joint pain amongst other things.

However, I appreciate I should look to take Fin if I realistically want to halt my hairloss and maintain what hair I have left. I have ordered S5 cream (6 month supply) and was going to try this first.

Any suggestions and help would be most appreciated. I did consider maybe a small dose of 0.5mg every other day to ease myself in gently for a couple of months and then up to 0.5mg ED.

Help.

Thanks

Greg

No dosage worked for me, didnt agree with me at all, I thinkif I even just looked at the tablet I would get sides lol

Everyone is different though, I think its a good idea to start off small to see if ur body can tolerate it. My doc was I firm believer in taking it everyday even it was .25 or .5mg a day, he believed it was more effective to take it consistently, just wasnt for me though!

4510 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2012

2350 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2013

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

HT 2:Total Grafts 2352: Singles 350, Doubles 1601, Triples 401, ( 4,755 Hairs )

I think you're going about it the right way Greg. My advice would be to start on something like 0.25mg or 0.5mg, two or three times per week. Then maybe every one to two months, very gradually up it, assuming no sides are evident.

Personally, I started out 4 years ago on 1.25mg daily. Looking back, I would have started on something along the lines of what I suggested to you. For two years I didn't notice a thing, but then I started noticing sides. This could very well have had something to do with another drug I was on for my skin - Roaccutane. Either way, since then I have changed my dose to 1.25mg every MWF, then to 0.5mg daily 5 months ago......and now I'm thinking of coming off it for a while just to give my body a rest from it. Thinking of going on Nettle Root for a bit to still keep some anti-DHT stuff in my system.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I think you're going about it the right way Greg. My advice would be to start on something like 0.25mg or 0.5mg, two or three times per week. Then maybe every one to two months, very gradually up it, assuming no sides are evident.

Personally, I started out 4 years ago on 1.25mg daily. Looking back, I would have started on something along the lines of what I suggested to you. For two years I didn't notice a thing, but then I started noticing sides. This could very well have had something to do with another drug I was on for my skin - Roaccutane. Either way, since then I have changed my dose to 1.25mg every MWF, then to 0.5mg daily 5 months ago......and now I'm thinking of coming off it for a while just to give my body a rest from it. Thinking of going on Nettle Root for a bit to still keep some anti-DHT stuff in my system.

Really appreciate the advice thanks mate. Yes like I mentioned I another thread we've both taken Accutane and the sides from that can be very extreme. I was left with lingering joint pain for 3 years after I finished the drug! Never fully recovered.

I'll speak to my GP about a low dose and will get some blood work done first too.

Not heard much about the nettle root. Is it a proven effective treatment? I'm going to try S5 cream too. Thanks bud.

Re nettle root, I've spoken to a few very experienced hair loss veterans who have tried a lot......and a few currently use it as their anti-DHT blocker instead of the likes of Fin. Many people just do not want to go the Fin route, and others go there and get sides so alternatives need to be explored. From what I can see, 3 things that are in hairloss vets regimens would be one (or a combination of): Saw Palmetto, Nettle Root, or Keratene Alpha retard.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...