22 and seeing some hair loss - yikes

jsan

Hey everyone...

So I'm 22 and I've noticed hair loss for a little over two years. At first my temples receded and over the past year or so the top of my head started thinning out. It's kind of like an oval shape towards the back about 3 1/2 inches wide where it meets my temples. Despite this, my cowlick and everything around it is fine (and even an inch or two in front of it). Basically, it's the temples and front-top portion of my head.

It really doesn't look too bad and it seems like it's been about the same for the past 6-9 months and I havn't noticed the thinning as much. But the itching is pretty annoying in itself.

If I were to find a drug that would stop my hair loss I would be completely content with the way it looks as of now. Any regrowth would just be a much-welcomed bonus. I got a prescription from my family doctor for propecia about 6 months ago but I've been stalling on it for a few reasons:

1) I've never really had to take any drugs/medicine and I'm hesitant to start taking something regularly at my age. Are there any cumulative side effects or issues that would come about from using something every single day for years on end??

2) My baldness seems to be a bit different and I've read that Propecia does little for the hairline. How about the front-top portion of my head? Would it help keep my hairline from any further recession? My widow's peak area is still fine but the receding sides look kinda goofy unless I have my hair cut a certain way.

3) How many doctors are willing to let you use the different-named drug that is cheaper and you cut it up (but the same drug). Sorry I can't think of the name. I'd love to save money doing it that way since I'm heading off to grad school and don't have a lot of money to spare.

Thanks for any help- this is a great resource!

Hey everyone...

So I'm 22 and I've noticed hair loss for a little over two years. At first my temples receded and over the past year or so the top of my head started thinning out. It's kind of like an oval shape towards the back about 3 1/2 inches wide where it meets my temples. Despite this, my cowlick and everything around it is fine (and even an inch or two in front of it). Basically, it's the temples and front-top portion of my head.

It really doesn't look too bad and it seems like it's been about the same for the past 6-9 months and I havn't noticed the thinning as much. But the itching is pretty annoying in itself.

If I were to find a drug that would stop my hair loss I would be completely content with the way it looks as of now. Any regrowth would just be a much-welcomed bonus. I got a prescription from my family doctor for propecia about 6 months ago but I've been stalling on it for a few reasons:

1) I've never really had to take any drugs/medicine and I'm hesitant to start taking something regularly at my age. Are there any cumulative side effects or issues that would come about from using something every single day for years on end??

2) My baldness seems to be a bit different and I've read that Propecia does little for the hairline. How about the front-top portion of my head? Would it help keep my hairline from any further recession? My widow's peak area is still fine but the receding sides look kinda goofy unless I have my hair cut a certain way.

3) How many doctors are willing to let you use the different-named drug that is cheaper and you cut it up (but the same drug). Sorry I can't think of the name. I'd love to save money doing it that way since I'm heading off to grad school and don't have a lot of money to spare.

Thanks for any help- this is a great resource!

jsan,

I think you are referring to Proscar, which contains the same active ingredient finasteride as Propecia. Cutting it into quarters and taking 1 pill (approximately 1.25mg) daily will help you save money and many hair restoration physicians will agree that it's just as effective as Propecia.

But, you will ultimately have to decide whether or not you will want to take it, considering the potential side effects and all.

Propecia can also be potentially helpful in preventing further hairline recession. See "Does Propecia and Rogaine Work for the Hairline?"

Best wishes,

Bill