Density

Hi guys,

I had my first HT about a year ago and am contemplating going for a second sometime soon.

While investigating doctors and reading information, I always come across the terminology 'high density', but it is never articulated what exactly this means. Can someone tell me what the number of grafts/hairs per cm square is considered to be high density and the what is currently the highest density possible for doctors to perform.

Thanks!

This is a good question but I don't feel it is one that can be answered with a static number.

Let's examine why the term high density is even used. It's because one of the biggest issues with hair restoration is that the patient gets their final results then calls the clinic to say that it is not dense enough. High density is more related to being able to prevent this call from happening after the first procedure. In other words high density allows for a one pass result otherwise known as "one and done". This refers to being able to place enough grafts into a specific area so that density is high enough to warrant no further procedures in this area.

A classic example of this approach is that of "Bobman". Dr. Hasson placed almost five thousand grafts into the front half of his scalp including his hairline. The result was one where appropriate density was achieved so that the second procedure could be focused exclusively in the crown.

Bobman_13.jpg

Here it is grown out after eleven months...

Bobman_139.jpg

This allowed Dr. Hasson to focus on the crown exclusively for Bobman's second session.

So, while the term "high density" may be thrown around a bit (too much in my opinion) it simply cannot be defined by specific numbers. What may be high density for one is low density for another (depending on hair type which is another discussion altogether).

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hey Jotronic

I think the result Bobman got is great.

You say he recieved almost 5000 grafts if it's possible could you please let us know the reciept size in cm2 so that we can get a rough idea of how many grafts he recieved per cm2.