Receded hairline since birth. HT question..

Hello all, my name is Dennis, I'm 24, and I just recently found this informative forum. Ive been cursed with having a receded hairline every since I was a child. Simply put, I have always had a huge forehead with receded temples. I really don't think this is hair loss, even a doctor agreed after checking the front hair follicles under a microscope. Also, all of the men in my immediate family (both grand dads, uncles, my dad) have full heads of thick hair. My mom also has a naturally "large" forehead, kinda like Tyra Banks has.

At the age of 24, with a good chance that I WONT lose too much hair in the future (even though I know hair loss is unpredictable), would you guys think getting hair implanted into an area that never had hair there before, be a good idea?

I would Really appreciate if you guys could take a look at my picture and tell me your rough estimate of how many grafts you think I would need. I don't want a low hairline, just the BARE cheapest minimum amount of grafts to at least cover the temple areas (and to get rid of what the arrows pointing to in picture#2), because anything is better than nothing. I'm only working with around $2,000, is it possible for a very small sized hair transplant, or is it not even worth the recovery time?

Also, after looking at my photos, what would you recommend, just the temples or a complete hairline from temples to forehead?

Thank you so much for your time guys.

Here are the photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...ezir/hairline2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/alb.../vezir/hairline2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...ezir/hairline1-1.jpg (I put small red lines indicating where I would want to implant hair, how many grafts would be needed to fill this?)

Hello all, my name is Dennis, I'm 24, and I just recently found this informative forum. Ive been cursed with having a receded hairline every since I was a child. Simply put, I have always had a huge forehead with receded temples. I really don't think this is hair loss, even a doctor agreed after checking the front hair follicles under a microscope. Also, all of the men in my immediate family (both grand dads, uncles, my dad) have full heads of thick hair. My mom also has a naturally "large" forehead, kinda like Tyra Banks has.

At the age of 24, with a good chance that I WONT lose too much hair in the future (even though I know hair loss is unpredictable), would you guys think getting hair implanted into an area that never had hair there before, be a good idea?

I would Really appreciate if you guys could take a look at my picture and tell me your rough estimate of how many grafts you think I would need. I don't want a low hairline, just the BARE cheapest minimum amount of grafts to at least cover the temple areas (and to get rid of what the arrows pointing to in picture#2), because anything is better than nothing. I'm only working with around $2,000, is it possible for a very small sized hair transplant, or is it not even worth the recovery time?

Also, after looking at my photos, what would you recommend, just the temples or a complete hairline from temples to forehead?

Thank you so much for your time guys.

Here are the photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...ezir/hairline2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/alb.../vezir/hairline2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...ezir/hairline1-1.jpg (I put small red lines indicating where I would want to implant hair, how many grafts would be needed to fill this?)

Guest comb

?™ would advise you to send your photos to a few of the top doctors, and see what they think. However if your budget is $2000, it won't go very far.

Also, it would be best to contact doctors that regularly do dense packing, as you will need this for the HT hair to blend with your natural hair.

Good luck

I think that your hair looks great and like all of us on this site we are our own worst critics.

I would, in my opinion, not think about HTs at this time especially because you are young, have little loss (I assume the temples have always been like that?), and financially the amount you want to spend will NOT get you what you are looking for.

First $2000 will get you on average around 400 grafts from any of the top docs here and that is having a strip procedure. That will give you very conservative improvements on the temples, but not be able to bring them forward enough to make you happy.

I would say: Save more money, do a lot of research, wait years to see if you actually will have more loss, then decide whether or not to go through with this.

Leave well enough alone (or so the cliche states)

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks for the quick replies. If needed, I will save more money, I just figured for my low expectations of the amount of hair I want to add, it would be pretty cheap. Then again, I guess it would need to be thick patches of hair at the temples.

The reason I want the HT now is because I plan on finding my future wife while I'm in my twenties, and I know this will help build confidence to do so. Plus this big forehead of mine has cursed me for years, now I can finally do something about it, which brings a feeling of hope.

Guest comb

?—ave you tried different hairstyles, that may conceal the recession somewhat? Perhaps that could help, while you research more and make a decision.

However, I really don't think you should be lacking confidence over your situation, girls won't even notice your hairline. I know it's easier said than done, but that' s my opinion.

I agree with Eman.

With HT's also comes the risk of the loss of some native hairs (shock loss). Sometimes they come back. Sometimes they do not. Given your age and your hair looking pretty good it may be best to hold off on a HT.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by wantego:

I agree with Eman.

With HT's also comes the risk of the loss of some native hairs (shock loss). Sometimes they come back. Sometimes they do not. Given your age and your hair looking pretty good it may be best to hold off on a HT.

Is permanent shock loss something that happens often? Are we talkin ~40% of HT patients experience it, or under 10%?

Hi SoCal,

Eman has given some good advice. You're young and you've got a great head of hair which would be ashame to mess up by doing something on the cheap.

I think most people would think you have a great hairline. If after some time has passed and you've saved up some $10,000 and still feel modifying you're hairline is something you still really really want to have done then that's your perogotive. If I was in your shoes and just Had to have something done then I think I would definitely look into FUE for such a small area. If your pretty certain that you won't have any additional future loss then I think you would be best served by looking into a FUE procedure with someone like Dr. Feller. I'd hate to see a strip cut from that donor scalp just to fill in some temples

:-).

Good luck! As far as finding a wife goes (don't rush it :-), I think that the only thing holding you back is your confidence and not your hairline. Meaning that I don't thing 97.62 % of the ladies our there are going to really even bat an eye at your hairline so the issue probably is more in your head than with the ladies. (If you were actually balding and 24 then the ladies would likely bat an eye at your hairline and that does affect most peoples confidence.)

SoCal-

Welcome to the HTN-

I reviewed your photos.

At your age I would not recommend transplanting into the temporal recessions to the extent that you have depicted by the red lines: If you have future loss the demand created by that design may leave you in a no win situation due to inadequate donor supply. I would also venture to say that, and this is an aesthetic opinion only- your facial features and bone structure support the hairline you have now quite well. Please note, this does not rule out some small, subtle additions to the receding temporal areas (I am a big believer in the less is more approach to plastic/cosmetic surgery), but, as I would remind anyone your age: ultimately it is my humble opinion and my surgical goal to make sure that, as one of our patients, we improve your appearance for not only next year, but for the next ten+ years. To do that means maintaining your "lifetime supply-demand balance" on the supply side, so that you never get behind the eight ball, so to speak. I would also recommend you consider finasteride to help you maintain the hair you have.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors