Is 12 months post-operation the real deadline?

Does the degree of maturation vary between people? I'm approaching 8 months post-op and my transplanted hair, though wiry, looks just as thick as my normal hair. It would be great if I could expect it to get thicker but I don't know how much thicker it could reasonably get.

I have heard that minoxidil might cause grafts to sprout sooner.

Maybe that's why so many people get their hair grown pretty fast.

What about your own case? Do you use minoxidil?

No, I don't. I am on biotin and msm and my growth seems to be on schedule. I've considered starting minox but I don't know if it will make my transplanted hairs shed.

So basically you have been using hair products that help hair growing faster, right?

No, I don't. I am on biotin and msm and my growth seems to be on schedule. I've considered starting minox but I don't know if it will make my transplanted hairs shed.

Some docs may recommend the use of minoxidil post-op once complete healing of the epidermis has occurred. The idea is to facilitate the regrowth of the grafts within the recipient area.

And yes some guys do experience shedding from the "initial use" of minoxidil as well as the initial use of finasteride.

Time itself will take care of the regrowth and the maturation process does vary somewhat between individuals. At eight to nine months post-op much of the regrowth has sprouted however length of the hair shafts and caliber maturation can take up to eighteen months post-op to get the full visual benefit.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Gil. Am I correct in assuming that starting minox at 8 months will not be very beneficial?

So basically you have been using hair products that help hair growing faster, right?

These supplements are known to increase the rate at which hair grows (Biotin) and lengthen the anagen phase (MSM). I don't think they have any effect on the telogen phase nor the growth timeline for HTs.

You're welcome xtatic5. I have not heard of biotin or MSM commencing a shed but I have heard from guys and read posts of those who started finasteride and/or minoxidil for the first time right after surgery and experienced a significant shed. This is very different than shock loss. Some men who did not have any HT surgery have experienced this type of initial shedding from these two meds. But is the exception and not the rule from my observations over the years.

At eight months post-op, there is no need IMHO to use minoxidil to speed up the regrowth as much of it has already manifested. But minoxidil can be potentially efficient for the native hair especially in the crown on an ongoing basis.

I did use MSM on one of my procedures post-op and used minoxidil in the recipient area after it was healed. Did not notice any real difference as compared to my other procedures. But everyone responds differently.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY