Is 12 months post-operation the real deadline?

I'm asking this because rom what I've been reading and from my own case it seems that 12 months is still too early to get the final result after a FUE.

I've done in 2 sessions a FUE in 20 and 21 September of 2012, 12 months in the next 21 September.

However, despite of having a giant amount of new hair my 2 previous receding entrances still don't have the same amount of hair as in the middle of my head.

When I use my comb my hair looks perfect, even after getting some amount of wind in my hair. However, if I stir a lot my hair there's still many spots where it's obvious the hair still hasn't grown up.

Many spots are erratic, big pieces of strong and tick new hair mixed with spots of thin and sparse new hair.

But this is normal, right? I remember the doctors said to me, with 10 months of post-op, that I should wait to 12 or 14 months and that my hair's growth looked normal and stable.

So isn't the "12 months deadline" a bit misleading in some cases? Or is my hair's growth just a bit slow?

Regards.

:)

I believe that 18 months is when you will realize 100% growth and maturity. 12-18 months is a very productive timeframe for slow growers and crown trasplants.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I believe that 18 months is when you will realize 100% growth and maturity. 12-18 months is a very productive timeframe for slow growers and crown trasplants.

Yeah, I heard crown transplants (which is the 3rd session of FUE I'm gonna do some weeks from now on) are slower.

So what has happened in your own case? Was it finished during the 12th month?

I was a pretty fast grower. I think my growth was done at 8 months but the hair matured up until about 18 months.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I was a pretty fast grower. I think my growth was done at 8 months but the hair matured up until about 18 months.

Really? But at the time of 8 months was already impossible to see any part of your scalp? All the hair was alerady extremely thick?

At 8 months, all my grafts had grown out and it was as thick as you would expect a 5229 grafts transplant on a practically bald scalp to be. That is to say, yes the density was very good but of course, as with all transplants, it was still an illusion of density. Under typical lighting, my scalp was and is not visible at all. In very harsh lighting, some scalp will show through which is to be expected.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

At 8 months, all my grafts had grown out and it was as thick as you would expect a 5229 grafts transplant on a practically bald scalp to be. That is to say, yes the density was very good but of course, as with all transplants, it was still an illusion of density. Under typical lighting, my scalp was and is not visible at all. In very harsh lighting, some scalp will show through which is to be expected.

It depends on the transplant. Many transplants can make a totally bald person having a full head of hair with no visible scalp at all.

Doctors say that with 50% of your normal density that's enough to make your scalp "disappearing".

"Illusion of density" is more in the extreme cases.

You've made a FUE transplant? You were a NW 7? You can put even more grafts if you whish, right?

;)

Edited by TonyStark83

I have never seen a HT give a NW 6 density enough to where no scalp would show through even in the harshest lighting. It just does not exist. This is impossible IMO even with 10000 grafts. Almost all transplants are an illusion of density, not just extreme cases. The only cases where the illusion may not be applicable are those extremely high density hairline transplants (ex: 3000 grafts in the first 1.5-2 cm of a hairline).

50% is enough to hide your scalp but not to hide it all under direct sunlight for example in most cases.

I was a NW 6 and have only had 2 strip procedures. I am only one month post op from procedure 2.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I have never seen a HT give a NW 6 density enough to where no scalp would show through even in the harshest lighting. It just does not exist. This is impossible IMO even with 10000 grafts. Almost all transplants are an illusion of density, not just extreme cases. The only cases where the illusion may not be applicable are those extremely high density hairline transplants (ex: 3000 grafts in the first 1.5-2 cm of a hairline).

50% is enough to hide your scalp but not to hide it all under direct sunlight for example in most cases.

I was a NW 6 and have only had 2 strip procedures. I am only one month post op from procedure 2.

I don't agree with you. You can see many videos of NW 6s having FUE and the density being perfect to any kind of light.

It's totally possible. It depends on the person and on the transplant.

"Illusion of density" is a tricky pony. If the density of your new hair is more than enough to perfectly hide your scalp does it matter if the number of hairs is the same as your original amount? Obviously not.

You can watch those videos and see those people using their cumbs and not any scalp is seen, only hair.

;)

I don't agree with you. You can see many videos of NW 6s having FUE and the density being perfect to any kind of light.

It's totally possible. It depends on the person and on the transplant.

"Illusion of density" is a tricky pony. If the density of your new hair is more than enough to perfectly hide your scalp does it matter if the number of hairs is the same as your original amount? Obviously not.

You can watch those videos and see those people using their cumbs and not any scalp is seen, only hair.

;)

Show me one picture or video of the top of the head on a NW 6 under harsh floresent light or direct sunlight where no scalp at all can be seen. It does not exist. I agree under normal lighting yes, in many good HT including mine, scalp cannot be seen but not under these harsh lighting conditions.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Show me one picture or video of the top of the head on a NW 6 under harsh floresent light or direct sunlight where no scalp at all can be seen. It does not exist. I agree under normal lighting yes, in many good HT including mine, scalp cannot be seen but not under these harsh lighting conditions.

What do you exactly mean when you say "harsh lighting"? The Sun?

And I don't agree with you, it does really exist so many cases.

But I can post inages nor videos in this forum, it's a policy of this forum. Unless if they changed the rules...

cantdecide,

Just took a peak at your photos and what a transformation that you are enjoying. Congrats!

Guys, I know of a case of a true Norwood 6 with a slick bald top. He was wearing a hair system for a number of years and wanted freedom. I can relate being a Norwood 5 and having 6900 grafts total and used to wear hair systems too.

This individual had outstanding donor density and also outstanding hair characteristics. He had a high degree of coarseness and also a nice wave.

He had three procedures, all strip for a total of 7300 grafts and he looks totally restored. His last procedure was in 2007.

But as you guys stated, the goal is achieving the illusion of coverage. I remember looking straight down on his scalp one year after his last procedure and could not see any scalp yet the density was nowhere near the sides and donor zone. His wave really helped and also gave him the illusion of more density than someone not having these outstanding attributes.

He is the exception and not the rule by any means so it really varies between individuals.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

One other thing. Hair caliber is the single most critical factor in attaining the illusion of coverage, it's not density as many may think.

So in effect, those with outstanding caliber need fewer grafts than those with thinner hair caliber.

And for some, hair caliber maturation continues up to 18 months post-op as you already mentioned.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

cantdecide,

Just took a peak at your photos and what a transformation that you are enjoying. Congrats!

Guys, I know of a case of a true Norwood 6 with a slick bald top. He was wearing a hair system for a number of years and wanted freedom. I can relate being a Norwood 5 and having 6900 grafts total and used to wear hair systems too.

This individual had outstanding donor density and also outstanding hair characteristics. He had a high degree of coarseness and also a nice wave.

He had three procedures, all strip for a total of 7300 grafts and he looks totally restored. His last procedure was in 2007.

But as you guys stated, the goal is achieving the illusion of coverage. I remember looking straight down on his scalp one year after his last procedure and could not see any scalp yet the density was nowhere near the sides and donor zone. His wave really helped and also gave him the illusion of more density than someone not having these outstanding attributes.

He is the exception and not the rule by any means so it really varies between individuals.

It really varies with individuals.

What I was saying is that the expression "illusion of density" is a tricky pony. It doesn't matter if the density is the same as the original we had while we were younger, if the coverage is enough to not show any scalp then that's enough.

I agree Tony. When dense packing was the "buzz" in these forums some five years ago or so, many young guys were insisting they were going to get procedures with density as high as 70-90 FU cm2 which many of them if not all of them did not need.

So their goals were not to achieve the illusion of coverage, it became how dense can I get it because it was the buzz of the day.

And then there were guys appearing later complaining of the substandard regrowth and yields that were promised to them.

Gillenator

I agree Tony. When dense packing was the "buzz" in these forums some five years ago or so, many young guys were insisting they were going to get procedures with density as high as 70-90 FU cm2 which many of them if not all of them did not need.

So their goals were not to achieve the illusion of coverage, it became how dense can I get it because it was the buzz of the day.

And then there were guys appearing later complaining of the substandard regrowth and yields that were promised to them.

Yeah. In some cases with men with very thin hair and bad donor area (which thank God is not the majority at all) the trick is to give the illusion of hair density.

Yet in most cases the density we get from a HT is more than enough to achieve a similar effect to our originak density. For me that's not "illusion" because it's not "fake", it's real.

People only start noticing they are getting bald after losing 50% of their original hair density.

12 months is not the official deadline. But it will certainly tell you where things are going. I say it takes a few more months then that, in general. Everyone is different though.

I made this thread because in my personal case, I'll reach the 12 months in 21th of September, I have hair growing in all places yet in some places it's very thick and there's a lot hair yet mixed with these areas there's even bigger areas with less and thin hair.

A second transplant session will grow a bit slower than the fist session it seems. It has for me anyway. I'm 12 months post op from my second session and I still have some more maturing to go. I think most the hair has sprung, but the straightening of the wiry hairs has some more time to go. The naturalness and final maturing of the thickness comes in the months following the one year mark. Seasonal shedding can also make some areas look sparser than what you anticipate them to be.

That may be the case for a small percentage of the hairs. If supposedly 10% of your follicles are in the resting phase at one given time, 10% of your transplanted hairs could be in the resting phase. Although the resting phase doesn't last an entire year, some of the already grown in hair could shed and currently be sitting in a resting phase. Growth at any stage could have different explanations.

That may be the case for a small percentage of the hairs. If supposedly 10% of your follicles are in the resting phase at one given time, 10% of your transplanted hairs could be in the resting phase. Although the resting phase doesn't last an entire year, some of the already grown in hair could shed and currently be sitting in a resting phase. Growth at any stage could have different explanations.

My trichologist said some months ago my hair was growing fine and at the phone other doctors from the same clinic, after watching the pictures I've sent to them marking the post-op after 10 months, said my growth has been normal.

Do the people who already have all their hair grown at 8 months use some special products that make their hair growing faster?

Edited by TonyStark83

Does the degree of maturation vary between people? I'm approaching 8 months post-op and my transplanted hair, though wiry, looks just as thick as my normal hair. It would be great if I could expect it to get thicker but I don't know how much thicker it could reasonably get.

Do the people who already have all their hair grown at 8 months or so use some special products that make their hair gowing faster?

I have heard that minoxidil might cause grafts to sprout sooner.