Sagital/Coronal Slits and Implanter Pens

One thing I get confused about is the difference between Sagital/Coronal Slits made with small blades versus how Implanter Pens work.

From Hasson and Wong's website they write:

The lateral slit technique is the only surgical method that is able to duplicate the alignment and distribution of hair as it occurs in nature, maximizing coverage, and eliminating the pluggy results of older hair transplantation methods. The angle and direction of hair growth can be precisely controlled, allowing transplantation of areas previously regarded as too difficult or unsuitable for hair transplant surgery, i.e. the temple and sideburn zones. In the donor area, follicular units appear to be lined up alongside one another in a plane perpendicular to the direction of hair growth. Lateral slit technique mimics nature's arrangement of hair follicles providing the patient with the most natural possible results. In other methods of creating the recipient site, incisions are made sagitally, parallel to the direction of hair growth. In such methods, maximum possible density in a given area cannot be achieved, hairs grow randomly and often atop one another, producing redundant coverage and unnatural results.

Does implantation with implanter pens use Sagital/Coronal slits? I'm concerned that "In other methods" (which I've highlighted in bold) may refer to implanter pens and that implanter pens produce hairs growing "randomly and on top one another, producing redundant coverage and unnatural results".

Thoughts, please, I know Dr. Lorenzo uses such pens....

And please don't say, "Well there's your answer!"....

I honestly don't think that implanter pens were even available when that section of their website was written

Dr Doganay answered this question:

Dr. Hakan, many people say that the lateral slit technique with custom blades gives a fuller hair transplant result because of the inclined angle of the graft which requires fewer grafts for a good result as it creates a greater illusion of density. How about your technique?

How can you give a full result using the choi implanter pen? I heard that with it, the grafts could only be vertical which is somehow similar to sagittal slit technique. Do you have any special technique with the Choi that works as well as lateral? Thanks.

With the Choi implanter technique, we use small pens. By using these pens, the angles of the follicular unit grafts can be changed easily. Therefore, a doctor can get results similar to the results of the lateral slit technique or sagittal slit technique depending on the doctor’s experience. The most important thing in the Choi technique is the experience of the hair restoration physician.

One of the reasons why we use the Choi Implanter Technique is that implanting the grafts with appropriate angles is easy. And, this is one of the most important reasons why we are getting very natural results, even with a small number of grafts.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I honestly don't think that implanter pens were even available when that section of their website was written

Ok, thanks, Nick - especially for the quote from Dr. Doganay. Anyone else who wants to chime in - especially as to when implanter pens were invented - is welcome.

- Harry