What's the earliest I can have a hair cut post HT

Hi.

I'm a FUE patient and received just over 1600 grafts 5 days ago. The surgery went well and the healing process is very good.

The sides and back were shaved for the procedure however as I was also having my temples restored the temple hair and immediately behind were not (this gave the Dr a clear indication on how how my temple hair behaves)

Fair to say I look absolutely ridiculous at the moment with part back and sides shaved which is also difficult to disguise under a hat.

The general concensus seems to be that at 10 days following the the procedure the grafts are secured so assume I can get my hair cur at this point? I note there tends to be different guidance on when to have a hair cut post HT ranging from 10 days to 4 weeks?

Please help.

Thanks

Edited by nick72

I am overly cautious probably, although this is what my doctor recommended, but I waited a month before cutting the hair in the recipient area. However since I was in a similar situation as you and looked ridiculous, I cut the hair behind the recipient area that was left long at 2 weeks, I was just careful not to use the clippers in the recipient area and just cut the longer hair surrounding it.

One month is the period that Dr Rahal instructs his patients to wait before a haircut. The grafts are physically secure sooner than that, but it's best to err on the side of caution as the blood supply still needs to re-establish itself.

Personally I'd rather look a bit strange for a month (which will fly by before you know it) than risk a poor outcome, which you will have to live with for a lot longer.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the replies. Do you know what the possible issues could be with having a hair cut at say 10 days i.e potential grafts dislodging / the haircut somehow negatively influencing the results / irritation to recipient or donor areas? Particularly for an FUE patient?

I was told that I could get a haircut at 2 weeks. However, I waited until about 1 month (unreleated to being a paranoiac). I wanted my haircut as close as possible to my European trip

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Thanks for the replies. Do you know what the possible issues could be with having a hair cut at say 10 days i.e potential grafts dislodging / the haircut somehow negatively influencing the results / irritation to recipient or donor areas? Particularly for an FUE patient?

The grafts are extremely unlikely to be dislodged. I would say it's impossible at 10 days but I haven't seen how brutal your barber is. :D

The issue would be the scissors or clippers potentially tugging on the newly implanted hairs and causing some trauma below the surface of the scalp. The grafts probably wouldn't pull out, but healing is still taking place and this could be disrupted.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com