Dr De Reys consult

Koot

Consult with Dr Rudi De Reys (former lead Doctor at Prohair)

Just thought I'd share some info from my face to face with Dr De Reys kindly arranged by his UK representative Nick (promotional link removed)

Briefly

Dr De Reys has set up a modern surgery unit in his home in the small Belgian town of Heist-Op-Den-Berg I travelled by Eurostar to Brussels Midi and then jumped on a local train for the relatively easy 1 ? hour journey (cost 16 euro return, 1 change) to Heist-Op-Den-Berg.

After meeting at the station Dr De Reys drove us back to his home where after showing me the surgery facility he spent a good hour explaining his methods and drawing up a treatment plan for my hair loss condition (NW3-1300 grafts). I was also able to see examples of his work which he records and stores on a laptop. He said he extracts and places a maximum of 1500 grafts per day with the assistance of his experienced nurse wife Gina. The aim is to place a couple of rows of single grafts at around 60 per cm2 then go to 40 per cm2 of doubles and triples to give coverage of around 100 hairs per cm2. Up to 400 grafts per hour are extracted manually with a 0.75 or 0.9 versi handle punch, sorted and stored in a Plasma preservation solution. After a brief break for lunch, lateral slits are made using a custom blade (2 hours) and then the grafts are implanted by the doctor and his wife ( 300-400 per hour). So with breaks I guess the day lasts 8-10hours. At the end of the day the patient joins the family for dinner and then gets a lift back to the hotel in the town centre, which is included in the transplant cost (3 euro per graft).

The practice operates on two to three patients a week to allow rest days.

Dr De Reys speaks good English and is open and friendly and happy to answer questions so It'd be nice to see more of his work since leaving Prohair on the English language forums, although there are more patients posting on the foreign forums and some interesting videos (not just the ones on youtube) if you google carefully.

I am looking possibly at scheduling work later in the year once I can arrange time off from work but would probably drive over for the actual surgery.

Pros Cons

Lots of FUE experience FUE only no FUT for those who need it

Price Not many recent examples on the forums

Small two person team

Hotel included

Doctor extracts and places

Can do non shaven donor FUE

for smaller surgery (1000 grafts)

My regime

5 years of Dutasteride (after 8yrs finasteride)

Nizoral

Occasional bouts of minox (not convinced)

Dr De Reys speaks good English and is open and friendly and happy to answer questions

Is Dr. De Reys a member of this forum, Hair Restoration Network? Does he post on here frequently or answer questions?

The aim is to place a couple of rows of single grafts at around 60 per cm2 then go to 40 per cm2 of doubles and triples to give coverage of around 100 hairs per cm2. Up to 400 grafts per hour are extracted manually with a 0.75 or 0.9 versi handle punch, sorted and stored in a Plasma preservation solution. After a brief break for lunch, lateral slits are made using a custom blade (2 hours) and then the grafts are implanted by the doctor and his wife ( 300-400 per hour).

That is the most detailed description of hairline design I have seen yet.

What do other forum members think of only having two rows of singles? I was under the impression that standard practice was to go further back before transitioning to doubles and then triples...?

Edited by nathaniel
Grammar

He charges €3 for the first 1000 and €2.50 per graft after that. I don't think that has ever changed.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I tried getting him to apply for recommendation and he seemed interested but wanted to wait until his new clinic was finished.

Yep it depends on the number grafts so can be 3 euros or less!

It's interesting how different the approach to hairlines can be with different surgeons - some seem to place a cm of singles while others just a few mm. Dr De Reys is well known for his love of a zig zag pattern!

Nice write-up!

Johnnydrama - Not quite correct. I paid 7000 Euros for 3000 grafts which is less than 2.50 Euros per graft.

Cheers

Ah, sorry FJ, 2.5 came out on predictive text on my phone for some reason instead of 2 and I missed it.

His rates are €3 for first 1000, then €2 for every graft after that.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

7000 Euro for 3000 grafts is super cheap! Wow.

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.