Swelling after Hair Transplant

I had FUE transplant on 1st July 2013, so about 5 days ago. Now I have a lot of swelling on my forehead, reaching my nose, brows and eyelids. My quest is, is this normal? and when should I expect the swelling to go away? Iv'e read that a lot of people had swelling, but that it goes away in the first few days or after a week. For me it looks like it will take much longer than that.

Thanks

Yes swelling is normal it usually lasts for 2-3 days once its noticeable. You should ice the area but be careful to it touch grafts, and you can take an anti inflammatory like advil to help reduce swelling. Nothing to worry about just uncomfortable.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I feel as if it is lasting more than 2-3 days. It is almost a week since my HT and it seems the swelling is increasing as opposed to decreasing

There is nothing to worry about!

I had a FUE procedure and the swelling starts at the forehead and slowly moves down your face until your throat where it disappears. Mine lasted about 5-6 days. I looked like I had gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson!

Swelling is due to the large amount of saline injected under the scalp during the procedure. I have my patient's apply a hot compress to the forehead then massage the forehead from the middle out to help get the fluid to migrate down the side of the face and into the neck. I have my patients massage the forehead once an hour for five minutes for the first 48 hours while awake. Since the swelling is due to the saline ice will make the swelling last longer. I advice my patients not to use ice on the face or forehead.