Being a "good" or "bad" before & after picture taker - A big deal?

Does being a good "picture taker" with before and especially after photos truly make that much of a difference? I know some docs are considered bad picture takers and some are considered good. But I guess what I'm wondering is - if you're really good at what you do, if you're really good at restoring hair why should you need to be a good "picture taker" you know? Shouldn't the pics, untouched, speak for themselves? Are some docs better than what their photos show, or are some docs not quite as good as they seem because they know how to get all the perfect angles, lighting, flash, things like that? I mean I guess I don't know just a whole lot about photography but to me, you can only doctor up a "hair photo" so much. But maybe you can? All comments are welcome! Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Does being a good "picture taker" with before and especially after photos truly make that much of a difference? I know some docs are considered bad picture takers and some are considered good. But I guess what I'm wondering is - if you're really good at what you do, if you're really good at restoring hair why should you need to be a good "picture taker" you know? Shouldn't the pics, untouched, speak for themselves? Are some docs better than what their photos show, or are some docs not quite as good as they seem because they know how to get all the perfect angles, lighting, flash, things like that? I mean I guess I don't know just a whole lot about photography but to me, you can only doctor up a "hair photo" so much. But maybe you can? All comments are welcome! Thanks!

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Yeah I also just noticed from those pics you posted PGP that all the before photos were taken with a white background and the afters with a blue background... the white produces a huge contrast with anyones hair, causing it to look thinner and diffuse and then I assume they switched to a darker color to not give such a contrast so you can't "see through" their hair.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Pictures can be really deceiving even at times when a person is not trying to deceive anyone on purpose. Now I really would only trust seeing somebody in person.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Let me give you my own extreme example!

Both these pictures were taken of me with low res cameras at 15-16 weeks post-op. The first is with natural daylight and the other inside in low lighting (with gel on) three days later. Now I know this is a blatantly obvious difference, but more subtle variations like those posted by PGP can fool an untrained eye.

Regards.

Photo_307.jpg.0050605b3c5a744f23ec04d866a93e7a.jpg

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Pictures can be really deceiving even at times when a person is not trying to deceive anyone on purpose. Now I really would only trust seeing somebody in person.

100% Agree with this post. I have been researching ht's since my first one back in 1999. I did not see past patients from my first strip doc back then. After that I made it my business to get in contact with former patients and go see what a hairtrasplant looks like from the doc of my choice in person. It's not easy a lot of times to set this up but really what's the rush? It's your head and you have to live with the results the rest of your life. I think hairloss forums are great for a start of your research. But nothing replaces in person evaluation. I really to this day do not understand how anyone gets a ht without doing this final research.