denied Hair transplant..

trippy

I'm 20 years old and have AGA. I was turned down for a hair transplant and I am looking for a quick solution. I still have a lot of hair on my head but no hairline really and thinning temples. I am going away to school and the pressure of others judging me gets me so fxxxing pissed. I have been researching different hair systems that could atleast raise my confidence enough to go outside of my dorm room to a classroom. My questions are:

- Do hair systems ruin hair under them? I still have hair and I don't want to wear a hair system the rest of my life. Is there a safe way to secure the system onto my existing hair without speeding up the balding?

-Which hair systems are the best and most natural? I don't care much for cost because I know I won't be wearing them for over a year or two. I need realistic ones. I have considered VirturalReality hair systems, Farrel Hair, and some places in the UK i could order from.

-What is the difference between full lace and front lace?

- I know I have to go get a hair peice changed every couple of weeks but can I do it myself? I can't travel from my school back home or toronto to get it done.

Thank you guys.

I've read that they do damage the hair underneath.

Why don't you get on propecia and minoxidil for a year and see where you are. If you have stabilisation/improvement then maybe you could get 2000 grafts or so to sort out the hairline ?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

thanks for the reply but ive been on propecia and minox for a year and half already. I have seen moderate regrowth. I would get the surgery but i think my donor area is very low and i would need to get my hairline and temple points filled in which would probably be like 3000 grafts. Then there's no telling if ill thin in the crown. If that happens I wont have enough donor. I also dislike the quality of my hair as it is pretty thin and starting to get curly when it was striaght my whole life. Maybe I can go for like hair clips which I heard don't damage your hair but the interent has very little information on hair systems. Even the websites that sell the hair systems refuse to refer to them as wigs and specify very little of the cons with wearing one. Thanks again.

The ones that sell them don't refer to them as wigs because they want to make potential buyers feel better about it. They can call them "systems" all they want, but it's a wig. That term is nothing more than sales talk.

Why don't you see some reputable surgeons for consultations about whether or not you are a candidate for surgery?

That said, I've seen some great wigs on youtube that if it were not before the before and after - I'd not be able to tell. Maybe that could be a route for you to go down, I'm not trying to talk you out of it - but it's a known fact that they DO damage the hair underneath. I think it's called traction alopecia.......look at Naomi Campbell for example, bald as hell now because of the damage from wigs.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Forgot you said you'd already been turned down. What doctor was it that you saw?

Dr Feller. i really tried to get one but his reasoning sounded logical to me. I'm also pretty young (20 years old). It sucks going through hairloss so early. But do you know anything about prices in terms of hair peices? This famous hair system guy Joseph Paris is located near me and I looked up his website and even sent him an email about pricing. On the site it said a peice goes for 2,600-4,000 dollars. This sounds absolutely absurd. If i need to get a new hair peice like every 3 months you can imagine the cost. Do you think it means 2,600 dollars yearly or every time you come in for a different peice? Thanks again man.

Have you considered HairDirect.com? Their systems are decently priced and of good quality. Prior to my HT I used them for several years. Depending on how secure you wish to attach the hair, there are methods that will not damage your existing hair. More secure attachment equals more potential for damage to your own hair. Give it alot of thought as hair systems are a pain to clean and maintain and can sometimes be awkward in certain social settings.

Dear Trippy,

Thanks for sharing your story. Yes...you are too young to consider HT surgery...and you've answered the reason why yourself. If a young guy like you does their frontal area and then keeps losing aggressively to the point you're left with limited donor to cover the rest....now you're going to look weird with frontal hair transplants, bald the rest of the head....with lowering sides and back...and a scar (whether linear of dots with FUE) in your donor area and unable to shave your head because of it. (Kudos to Dr. Feller for being so honest...unfortunately not all doctors in the industry are so honest and would've slammed you in the chair to make a buck instead.

That being said, I think your options are stay on minoxidil and Propecia in the meantime, while you find an affordable hair system that clips on that is affordable OR shave your head. You need to get closer to 25 years of age, taking medical therapy, to see its affect on you in order to evaluate your loss and see if you'll have enough donor to even start down the path of HT surgery.

I know it sucks to be so young and in this situation, however, take your time and play your cards right....

Best of luck!