IMPORTANT - Post-op questions

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Can you guys please answer these couple of questions for me?

- When is it okay to start cooking after HT? I mean when is it safe to expose the transplanted area to heat and steam that generates due to cooking?

- I work in a cleaning dept. When is it safe for me to expose the transplanted area to cleaning detergents/chemicals and dust and stuff that we see in day to day life.

- What percautions should one take after HT? In other words, the dont's after the surgery.

Can you please answer these for me? I would really appreciate yoir help. Thanks in advance.

Your surgeon will be able to answer all these questions for you. Here's my opinion:

1) Many surgeons prohibit the use of a sauna for at least 4 months. You might interpret that to include all heat sources, including steam. I think prolonged exposure is more the concern than a quick look in the pot. I use the oven regularly and i'm seeing great growth.

2) Chemicals on your head would be bad, especially in the first couple of weeks. I was instructed to wash my recipient twice a day for the first two weeks which underscores its vulnerability to infection/irritation. Try wearing a bandana?

3) Each surgeon has his/her own list of do's and don'ts; some are generally agreed upon, others are not. With a little research you can get a sense of the various rules. Good luck!

Thanks Xtatic5,

- Makes sense, I would avoid cooking for atleast 4 months post op then.

- To be specific, I was not saying that I would dump the chemicals on my head. What I was saying is when you clean you usecertain detergents, cleaning products and also we come in contact with dust etc. Even though we do not put all of these things on our head, the transplanted area is exposed to all these. Can that pose a risk?

- I will do more research.

- One last question. When can we towel-dry our transplanted area same way as pre-ht? Normal rubbing etc.

You may not be dumping chemicals on your head but if you work with chemicals then you are potentially exposed to floating particles. My advice remains unchanged.

I was advised to wait two weeks before rubbing gently. Personally, I preferred to pat my hair dry until the grafts fell out on their own.