Donor scar inflammation

I am at 7 weeks post op. Today I noticed that the right side of my donor scar is slightly swollen and a tiny bit painful. My best guess is that the inflamed scar is now 1cm wide in this spot. Is this normal? Does this mean i have stretched out my scar in this area?

John,

At 7 weeks post-operative, some changes in the healing FUT wound is not unheard of. However, if you believe you're seeing inappropriate inflammation in the area, I recommend speaking with your physician.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Is the scar also red and inflamed? Is it raised at all? Your just under two months post-op so yes the donor scar can still be tender and sensitive to the touch for several more months. We all heal at different rates.

If after one year and complete healing the scar remains at 1 cm, you may want to have it assessed for a revision providing you have adequate scalp laxity for it.

The main issue for now is the healing so best wishes to you in that process.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

let me get something straight,, what is considered a good scar in mm,, is anything below 8 mm considered a successful fit scar? because 1 cm dosent seem bad, was just curious

Everyone's opinion will be different to this question. Many individuals who desire to wear an buzzed style would say that 1 cm is too wide.

It really comes down to the individuals and what they deem is acceptable and what is not.

I have several friends who have 1 cm strip scars but wear their hair at least 2 inches or longer and they don't care about it.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I'm expecting an undetectable scar. At 4 months most of it is, but there is one section which is pink and sensitive and about 3mm wide. This area also had the most scabbing post op. At what point should I stop expecting improvement?

I'm expecting an undetectable scar. At 4 months most of it is, but there is one section which is pink and sensitive and about 3mm wide. This area also had the most scabbing post op. At what point should I stop expecting improvement?

You should continue to see improvement in the healing of your donor scar up to one year post-op. Much of the pink color and sensitivity should subside by then.

Is the area that is pink and sensitive also raised or puffy?

Gillenator

Is the area that is pink and sensitive also raised or puffy?

Mostly no, but there are two bumps and a small scab. I poked it with a comb about 2 months ago so I blame it on that. This is also the only area where hair has not grown through yet.

You should see and feel improvement in the months to come and glad to hear that your donor scar is not raised and puffy. ;)

Gillenator

Thanks Gill, even since my last post I've seen improvement. I sprayed some Neosporin on it and the pinkness is all but gone. I also feel as though the surrounding hair is slowly closing in on it.