Can I use this particular aloe gel on my grafts?

Been reading about some people using aloe gel on their heads to soothe redness. I am at day 9 and have a very pink scalp. I have a bottle of this stuff and was wondering if its ok to use since its not pure aloe vera gel:

Hawaiian Tropic Cool Aloe Vera Gel

Ingredients:

Aqua, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis, Panthenol, Chamomilla Recutita, Carica Papaya, Mangifera Indica, Plumeria Acutifolia, Colocasia Antiquorum, Psidium Guajava, Passiflora Incarnata, Aleurites Moluccana, Simmondsia Chinensis, Tocopheryl Acetata, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol Quaternium-15, Parfum, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, CI 19140, CI 42090

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

John,

While I don't anticipate this being a problem, I highly recommend calling your hair transplant clinic and asking the same question. Following the clinic's post-operative instructions closely is very important, and I think this is something to "double check."

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Do you have very fair skin? Do you think there is possibility that you have an infection?

Why do you ask that Dr. Charles? I have relatively fair skin but i am almost certain I dont have an infection. I just wanted to use the aloe gel to see if it can reduce redness faster.

In my opinion, I wanted to stay away from those "cooling" chemicals and went for the all natural variety both gel and liquid from the local health food store. Both needed to be refrigerated.

Again, just wanted to be as natural as possible!

Do you have any evidence to support the idea that the other chemicals in this gel are somehow bad for the grafts/scalp? Dr. Path's assistant told me the gel was safe to use so I will take his word for it. Or are you just saying you wanted to be "natural" because its more effective?

I have been using the Hawaiian Tropic stuff for about a week now 2-3 times a day. So far I have not noticed anything problems. I still get some mild itchiness and tingling sensations once in a while. But my transplanted hairs are starting to shed on schedule and the redness has started to fade ever so slightly

Nope...just a personal preference. I did the same with the shampoo and conditioner I used for the first year. Overly cautious I am sure. The minoxidil had enough chemicals in it for me--which I was using after my HT.

I am not a hippie type (not that anything is wrong with that), but just felt the best thing for me was to go natural with anything that I put on my head after surgery. That is all.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hmmm... I'm fair-skinned and the redness around my hairline, which I had rebuilt about 3 weeks ago, is still present. Does the aloe actually help to reduce the redness?

i think it is helping a little bit. it feels good on the scalp. i am at 3 weeks today as well. while i am still red it is definitely better than where it was a week ago.

i have not found anything that definitively says its bad to use this "unnatural" gel which mixes in vitamin e. a lot of forum posts just say use "aloe gel." Dr. Path said the product is safe but others like Spex said that there should be no alcohol in the gel. the gel i am using has linalool in it which is a type of alcohol. is this the kind of alcohol that could be problematic?

once grafts are secure in the scalp, past day 10 or so, its going to be impossible to damage them with some topical treatment like alcohol in an aloe gel?

Edited by JohnJohnB