Starting minoxidil immediately after an HT?

hi everybody,

i have my ht scheduled soon. it will fill in my temple points.

however i have noticed that the rest of the top of my head is just starting to thin a little bit. still looks thick but i have been on propecia for nearly 10 years so maybe its starting to lose its efficacy.

i want to add minoxidil to the rest of my scalp but not the transplanted areas as they will not need any help from minoxidil. i would like to start maybe 5 days or so after my ht.

is there any potential downside to this? can it increase shock loss? do i have to make sure it does not drip into the transplanted temples for a while?

thanks

Actually, after you've healed (scabs gone) some doctors recommend using Minoxidil even in the transplanted area to give the new follicles more blood supply.....but only after healing.

If you're working the frontal area and using Minoxidil on crown...you should be fine. You don't want to get too close to the transplanted area in order to avoid over bleeding during surgery.

Best of luck!

JohnJohnB,

I started using minoxidil after a week of my HT to all areas on the top of my head. Shockloss is going to occur anyway even if u don't use minox. But wait a week after yr HT to use it.

hi everybody,

i have my ht scheduled soon. it will fill in my temple points.

however i have noticed that the rest of the top of my head is just starting to thin a little bit. still looks thick but i have been on propecia for nearly 10 years so maybe its starting to lose its efficacy.

i want to add minoxidil to the rest of my scalp but not the transplanted areas as they will not need any help from minoxidil. i would like to start maybe 5 days or so after my ht.

is there any potential downside to this? can it increase shock loss? do i have to make sure it does not drip into the transplanted temples for a while?

thanks

Hello JohnJohnB,

Glad you are moving forward with your hair restoration. If Propecia is no longer effective than this should be brought to the attention of your HT surgeon. Minoxidil is not typically more effective than Propecia. You are investing a lot in improving your self image get the direct help of your attending medical professional. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Just completed my HT yesterday. Doctor instructed me that it was safe to start Minox on all of the grafted areas in 1 week.

If you're worried about it dripping, just wait till the 1 week mark. Really isn't that long.

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.