slicking hair backwards after HT - shouldn't it be the way to go?

tremblant

Hi,

Just thought of something, maybe this has been brought up before but I couldn't find it.

It seems that for anyone who is balding towards a NW6 or more level, and has a HT, that they should comb their hair straight back instead of to the front or side. That way, the front hair ends up covering some of the front/top instead of wasting coverage dangling over the forehead. I think basically it should be slicked back, a la Joe Biden. Some of the hair on the front may also cover part of the bald crown when it is pushed back.

Anyone think of any counter argument to this?

I thought of this b/c I have advanced hair loss now and currently style my hair forward/to the side, but after a HT I want to style it back.

Thanks for your thoughts...

tremblant,

I think it's possible to create an illusion of better coverage this way. By building a conservative hairline and reconnecting the sides in a NW 6 patient, he then will have the option to throw it back over the rest of the balding area.

This could result in a potentially backwards-looking "comb over" style if not enough hair is transplanted mid-scalp, though.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I would have to agree with the slicked back look giving the apperence of more hair and giving some coverage to the crown. I actually really like the look and plan to wear my hair slicked back once I do get an HT. I see a lot of guys pics that in the wet pic or combed back pic...that their HT/hair and face look realy good. Me personally, I really don't care if my crown was a full moon back there.... as long as my hairline and mid scalp looked good. As it stands now...hairline is crapville and crown is a national forest.

I once worked for a very suave wealthy looking CEO. He was always tan and had great hair. It was always slicked back to perfection. I admired him and his hair. One day he happened to pass me in the hall, looking perfect as usual, and for some reason I looked back. What I saw was a huge bald spot, which shocked me. I was so naive back then and said to myself "he was is lucky to only have gone bald in the crown area". I'm pretty sure now that he probably had a good HT.

Hi Tremblant-

I am a former norwood 6 patient. So I was bald from the front to the back. I have now a total of 7,650 grafts and plan possibly to do another session in the future.

My personal preference is to brush my hair straight back. I hate the way mine looks parted to the side. Too conservative for my taste. Yes, if you have only transplanted hair in the front and mid scalp, it will simply look like a combover.

I have had some grafts placed in back so I'm not totally bare in the crown. I also use Toppik to thicken up the work I've had done in front and on the crown. If it's windy, I use a foam gel and hair spray to keep my hair in place.

Before my last session with Dr. Jerry Wong, I had to wear my hair much longer to help to conceal the crown. When the wind would blow, my hair would stand up 2 inches and looked totally rediculous. Since my last session, I don't have to wear it nearly as long for good coverage. The slicked back look definately works for me.

Thanks for your replies guys. icon_smile.gif

I think the slicked back look is a timeless classy look, and also can get more coverage provided, as you all have said, that ultimately some hair is placed over the crown/vertex so it doesn't look like a blatant cover-up job.

Obie one -- I'm surprised that after 7500+ grafts you don't have satisfactory density and still use Toppik? I guess it depends on how dense you want it...

Hi Tremblant-

I do have pretty decent coverage. The thing with my transplant is I had four procedures with a another doc before I went to Hasson and Wong. The previous doc I went to did do all follicular units but he didn't do dense packing as it's done today.

I had a terrible donor scar stretching which Dr. Wong did a nice job in getting rid of some of it at the expense of course of the large number of grafts he could have transplanted had I not needed a scar revision.

He was able to add 2,650 grafts to the hairline which made a nice difference. Unfortunately, with my characteristics my hair is dark and my skin tone is light. Therefore, it's going to be a bit more noticeable than someone who has blond or gray hair.

The Toppik is really to add density to the hairline so it's completely natural looking.If I have another 2,000 grafts to the front, I won't need Toppik anymore.

Hmm. I guess from what you're describing your density is very good, just that to get a "native" head of hair look, you need the toppik. I guess that's OK. I hope that if I ultimately get to 7500+ graft level that my level of coverage (for a genetically NW6) would still be very good, albeit a bit thin, esp. given my light skin and black hair.

Originally posted by tremblant:

check out density Glock08 got after ~4300 grafts w/ Dr. True -- the 1 year pics are incredible! it's not like a native head of hair, but a WORLD of difference from being an NW6...

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...CopyID=919&WebID=122

ummm...wow. that's amazing. and only 4300 grafts?....that may be the best transplant result i've ever seen. from most of the results I've seen, somebody at that level of hair loss usually needs 6000+ to get a result even close to that.