NW5 should i get HT

alexj4

Hi Guys,

Im currently trying to decide if i should get a HT or not, im a NW5 and have a very good donor are ive been told by a top Dr.

Altough ive been told i can get the result i desire im still concerned.

At the moment i shave my hair to a grade 1 and it looks ok and people say i look like Jason Statham which isnt that bad i Guess.

Im just worried if i get FUT and it doesnt look great i cant shave my head and ill be in a worse place than i am now.

HELP

thanks guys

You wouldn't be able to shave your head again because there would be a big scar across it if you go FUT.

If you look good with a shaved head I would say, walk away.

Save your money and a lot of worries.

If you do decide to go for a HT, go with a GREAT doctor and know that you will probably need multiple operations to be looking solid.

Read around this form a LOT and dont rush anything. Good luck.

If you can rock the shaved head, I say stick with it man. However, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. If you think a hair transplant will help your confidence and your overall mental happiness then it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor for an evaluation.

If you look good shaved or have a good shaped/sized head--shave.

Shave and Save!!

If you don't like the way you look, research a ton, find a doc you love the results of and go for it. That is what I did and many others here.

But, if I could of gotten away with shaving--which I tried and it didn't suit me--I would have shaved

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I think I can get away with the shave look but I still miss styling my hair and people say I look younger when I wear a cap,

Eman

I saw your result somewhere on the net you got a awesome result, my hair is very similar to yours but mines a little bit more thinner towards the back, do you have any regrets?

Solid advice MAGNUMp You look younger, as in a boy. Think of John S. He looks like a man.

I think a lot of people didn't try the shave look. We got caught up in the process of preserving this version of ourselves with hair. Lots of reasons, losing hair to early, having to shed the boy hair for a man head. Can be very painful. Shave your head and feel that relief.

alexj4--not a single regret! I love having hair again. I am no longer the bald(ing) friend, my forehead is not as big, I rarely wear hats (I don't need to), and frequently get compliments on my hair.

Overall, I love it and it does make me look younger. People always thought I was older due to my hairloss. That is no longer the case.

It was a great decision for me!

My initial HT thread:

Eman- thanks for your replies and in put i really appreciate it,

do you ever get anybody saying oh your hair is looking a little thin on top? thats my worry if i get it done and then somebody says oh your looking a little thin, i dont want to go through that again as i have had my hair shaved since 09

No one has said that my hair looks thin on top. My current girlfriend thinks my hair looks great and when I show her pictures of me with my head shaved or cut at a #2 clip, she much prefers my hair grown out :D.

Remember, I had very little hair in my front 2/3's prior to surgery and now I have a good amount of hair in that area. It is not nearly the same density as when I was a teenager, but I would say I went from a NW4+ to a NW2, which is more than appropriate for someone in their 30's.

If you choose the right doc for you (recommended here of course) and come up with a plan, you will be on the right path to getting a head of hair that you will be more than happy with.

But if you look good with your head shaved, I would say continue doing that. I shaved and my head is simply too big and not shaped well for that look.

My initial HT thread:

Going from a NW5-6 to a NW2 is a great transformation. We are not in our teens anymore, so at least today, we will never get back to those thick/no thinning hair days.

Having an age appropriate hairline that considers the level of hairloss a patient has is of utmost importance. Remember, you will not have the same density you used to, but with the artistry of the docs recommended here you will have a result that will be significantly better than being a NW5-6.

My initial HT thread:

Eman-

The only thing that worries me is if i get it done and it still looks thin and looks like im still im thinning,

At what density perecentage would you say your hair is at, they say you dont realize your losing it till your 50% gone?

You are right about the 50% rule.

The ability or artistry of the doctor is what allows for a lower density than was originally there yet giving the "illusion" of fullness. This is commonly stated about hair transplants--the "illusion" of fullness. Plus, remember that you don't have enough donor to get back to your density of your youth.

A great doctor can give you a result that makes it look more dense than it is. I am not sure what my density is at, but it looks excellent whether riding a motorcycle or getting out of the ocean. Would I like it to be denser, sure...would I like not to age, yes. Does it look thin, no.

My initial HT thread:

Hi Guys,

Im currently trying to decide if i should get a HT or not, im a NW5 and have a very good donor are ive been told by a top Dr.

Altough ive been told i can get the result i desire im still concerned.

At the moment i shave my hair to a grade 1 and it looks ok and people say i look like Jason Statham which isnt that bad i Guess.

Im just worried if i get FUT and it doesnt look great i cant shave my head and ill be in a worse place than i am now.

HELP

thanks guys

Hi Alexj4,

Look HT is resolving hair loss for a lot of people even at levels of hair loss beyound NW 5. So, in general of course HT is a positive option for most. However, without a good set of images posted it is very hard to advise you. Based on your comment regarding a look similar to actor Jason Strathum; then an FUE procedure may be ideal along with some SMP (Scalp Micro-Pigmentation) if you would like to stay with that look. Post some picks and we can better help. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Eman- Thanks again for your input, yeah I knew that the surgeons get the illusion of having thicker hair but I was worried that when it gets wet or have hair wax in it that it would look thin and balding

"but I was worried that when it gets wet or have hair wax in it that it would look thin and balding"

If you are lacking density, getting your hair wet will expose your thinning hair. Using styling product which bonds the hair, will also expose your lack of density. The wrong kind of lighting will expose your lack of density.

I will post a wet hair picture as soon as I get my new camera. It looks good when wet. If you take a look at my eight month post, it is representative of how my hair is today: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136253-emans-8-month-update-i-have-full-head-hair.html

On a side note, I traveled through SE Asia last year and was near water most of the time and it looked good every time I got out of the water.

My initial HT thread: