Need some help guys. Thinking Rahal

Hi guys. I'm sure a lot of you have read my story. 23 almost 24.

I plan on sending in pics to Dr. Rahal this week for a consult as I would like to get an HT in the near future.

Now starts some questions:

Generally, how long in advance do you have to book an HT with him? I'm afraid that he is going to be booked until late in the year, as I was hoping around April-ish.

Also, I'm not positive how many grafts I'll need, so cost is up in the air still. How will a finance plan work? I can afford to put a large chunk down, but if I end up needing to spend $10k, I can't just drop that out of nowhere.

Still not sure what to do about work. I just went back today so hopefully soon I can discuss vacation time once I see when HT is possible.

Thanks for any input guys. This site is the best!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

Hi guys. I'm sure a lot of you have read my story. 23 almost 24.

I plan on sending in pics to Dr. Rahal this week for a consult as I would like to get an HT in the near future.

Now starts some questions:

Generally, how long in advance do you have to book an HT with him? I'm afraid that he is going to be booked until late in the year, as I was hoping around April-ish.

Also, I'm not positive how many grafts I'll need, so cost is up in the air still. How will a finance plan work? I can afford to put a large chunk down, but if I end up needing to spend $10k, I can't just drop that out of nowhere.

Still not sure what to do about work. I just went back today so hopefully soon I can discuss vacation time once I see when HT is possible.

Thanks for any input guys. This site is the best!

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

You should still be able to book in April, granted not all dates will be available.

From your pics, the front 1/3 looks like it will need some work. But honestly, I really think you could wait another few years and wait for your loss to stabilize a bit more. And by waiting you can save money and not have to pay interest for a loan on an already expensive procedure.

Anyway, I would say probably around 3000 to really strengthen your front third which would cost approximately $12K. And I believe on his site there are financing options that I believe only work for Canadian citizens. And to get Capital One financing you need to go to a doc in the U.S.--I thought about going this route until I found that out as they sometimes have 0% financing.

Taking at least two weeks off is vital for recovery and concealing the procedure.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks for the honest response eman. I have closely followed your story and you have done awesome so far.

I really can't see me waiting any longer though. I'm at a complete point of breaking. My hairloss has plagued me for so long and it has finally gotten to the point where I can't function normally in my life. The thought of waiting years for a HT just makes me want to collapse.

(Hope that wasn't too dramatic, but it's true)

That being said, I'm still being extremely cautious. If I was jumping the gun I probably wouldve had one a while back.

And you say 12,000 for 3000 grafts? I thought that was in Canadian dollars... so that would be cheaper US, correct? Also, is there a way I can put so much down and finance the rest?

eman, youre probably right that I could wait as far as loss, but at the same time, I CANT wait :/

Blah, hairloss is awful icon_frown.gif

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Hairloss does suck, I agree. I guess it just bothered me on the inside and never really let people know that it did outwardly. I actually joked about it which helps since my buddies are so brutally honest. Keep going out, show your true inner confidence and it will help you deal with it!

The cost list is on Dr. Rahal's website and is in Canadian dollars. The exchange rate fluctuates and the dollar is actually stronger at this time which would compute to about a 15% discount at this time and you get $1000 travel allowance which will help with transportation, lodging and food. So, $12K less 15% and $1K is approximately $9200.

Yes, you can finance all or part of the procedure--your choice. The more you put down, the less in interest and fees for a loan you will ultimately pay because the loan amount will be less. The less debt you need for this the better (i hate debt)!

Hope this helps.

My initial HT thread:

Originally posted by Eman:

Hairloss does suck, I agree. I guess it just bothered me on the inside and never really let people know that it did outwardly. I actually joked about it which helps since my buddies are so brutally honest. Keep going out, show your true inner confidence and it will help you deal with it!

I wish it were that easy. It's not so much what others think that bothers me, its me being happy with the way I look, and I haven't been in a long time. I just want to be content so I can move on and concentrate on other things and people in my life and not just be depressed about my hair all the time.

and $9200 is probably an amount that I could do without having to get a loan which would be awesome! We'll see.

Any other advice for me? I've seen guys younger and with less hair loss than me getting HTs. I thought my front is along pretty far and wouldn't be a bad idea to get an HT.

My thoughts are just real scattered right now

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Space-

Remember that Dr. Rahal does shave the recipient site for his procedures. Keep that in mind when making your decision. There are opinions both ways in regards to shaving versus not shaving. The top docs that I narrowed my procedure down to all shave the recipient site??”especially for the larger sessions. So after the procedure, the first two weeks it will look like you have a buzz cut on top. After this time the hairs will fall out and you will be balder than you were going into the procedure. By about a month's time, your native forelock should begin growing back getting you closer to you looking about the same as pre-HT although the native forelock hair will be shorter. If you are having a larger procedure, I cannot stress enough the amount of time it actually takes to look totally normal again. People heal differently and of course I thought I was a fast healer, but it still took more than a month to look normal. Also, Dr. Rahal recommends against the use of any foreign chemicals on the recipient zone (coloring, lotions, concealers) for at least a month, but does recommend vitamin e oil, aloe, and minoxidil. If you can get away with a hat at work, all of this is moot.

Like I said in your other post, you need to take CLEAR pictures and send them into docs and then have telephone consults with them. This will answer many of the questions you still have. I suggest you set your camera on something stationary, use the timer, do not use a flash, and go to a well lit room (i.e., bathroom) where the pictures will be brutally honest and the doc will be able to give you a better estimate of your needs. Take pics from the front, sides, top, and back and make sure they are clear.

This is a big decision and you are at the right place to help you along in your decision making process??¦

My initial HT thread:

Thanks, eman! Thats my biggest hold up right now is returning to work and recovery.

Anyone else offer me any advice?

Also, anyone have stories of having to return to work but couldn't wear a hat?

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Originally posted by SpaceBetween:

Thanks, eman! Thats my biggest hold up right now is returning to work and recovery.

Anyone else offer me any advice?

Also, anyone have stories of having to return to work but couldn't wear a hat?

Hi, this is without doubt the most difficult part of the surgery: the couple of months after.

As an advice you can use a concealer like toppix.

Space may I suggest you look at some blogs and see what people look like in the first 1-8 weeks following surgery so you can have a firm idea when you would feel comfy returning to work?

I had my HT with Dr Rahal as well as Eman so if you have any questions always feel free to ask them. As far as booking goes Dr Rahals assistant Adrian made it pretty easy for me. He just gave me a bunch of open dates around when I wanted to schedule and I picked one. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I will definitely be using toppik.

My main concern is returning to work (week one or two depending on how much time off) and being able to clearly see the donor scar and staples/sutures. That scares me so much.

Wantego- ive probably seen every weblog on the site and then some haha. I just ask because everyone is different. Some people dont even look like they had an HT at week 2 and some look really bad still (scabs, clear scar, thinning all over)... so I'm just nervous.

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily