Hi guys..first time here

TheSkinny

A lot of good information..although it can be overwhelming!

Im in my early 30's and have a thinning top and a bad receding hairline. It really...really bothers me...as I'm sure everyone here can understand.

I'm def having a procedure done..and I'm in the process of doing my research...because you obviously are not going to get an objective opinion from the individual clinic's website.

I live right outside of Atlanta, so I've got a consult with Edmond Griffin next month.

His work looks good (but so does everyone else's on their sites)..I just wanted to see if anyone has had a procedure done with him..what is reputation is, etc.

I have obviously read a lot about Hasson and Wong and their quality...but they are simply so far away from me it that it would be extremely difficult.

Anyway, I'm excited about having this done..just wanted to ensure I'm getting a quality procedure.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

TheSkinny

Welcome to the site!!

You came to the right place. You will learn a ton here and find answers to most of your questions and ask any question!

If looking for doctors names, here is where I like people to start: Hair Transplant in Canada and USA. And then do searches on them on the forum.

I too made the decision to have a HT in my 30's (which I still am in) based on similar reasons to you--thinning on top and bad receding hairline. And thank goodness I found this site prior to going to a non-recommended doc.

Choosing the right doc for you will be key in the success of getting where you want to be in terms of your hair. So research a ton and you will make the right decision for you.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Giveme,

Yes I did..and was pretty impressed..I think I'm going to do it with him.

I found the staff very professional...they put me at ease...because, let's face it...it's kind of embarrassing going in your first time.

He's not cheap, I'll tell you that..but with something like this, you don't really want to go for the cheapest one on the block.

Dr. Griffin himself I found to be great to talk with. He offered an honest assessment on what I wanted and where I wanted to have my grafts placed. I really felt comfortable with him.

Hope this helps. I know it can be a very nerve racking process trying to find the right surgeon, but I would certainly schedule an appointment for a consult. From my own research he seems to be one of the best in Atlanta...I felt very comfortable with him and his facility.

Keep me updated if you do decide to make an appointment. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. We could compare notes.

Good luck with it :-)

I had a talk with someone at his office today and yeah ur right he's not cheap but very comparable to other top doc's here..I wanted to get the transplant done soon and it looks like Dr Griffin has some dates available from late april.Also called Dr true and Dorin office today and they have the same rates and same availability as Dr Griffin..I am thinking of scheduling a in person consult with Dr Griffin to see what he has to say about my hairs..Have you thought about other docs also..I was also thinking about Dr Cooley but they don't have available dates until June end..Below is the link which has some pics of mine .

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169688-nw-grafts-assesment-pics.html

Hey Skinny ..I booked the in person consultation today and will update this thread after that..His rates are high as I was told the surgery amount does not include all other stuff like anesthesia etc..I was under the impression that this is usually covered with the HT cost.

Giveme:

Thanks for the update..let me know what you think. Yes, I did consult with one other HT Doc...Bernstein in NY...good facility and very professional as well...but in the end I think I'm going with that fact that Griffin is local and has a good reputation, and the results I've seen look good.

GNX:

I don't think Griffin is a "jack of all trades" doctor. I guess his speciality in medical school was dermatology (which it seems a lot of HT docs did, since there is no "hair transplant" residency in medical school)...and has been doing this for 20 something years. He seems to be well regarded by some members here...that's what I'm going on. Unless you know something we all don't??

hey its ur head. there are plenty of others to chose from that specialize in HT surgery. not a guy who does blepharoplasty, lipo, etc...

if you want a race engine built for your race car you dont go to a guy that builds transmissions or does chassis set up. go to someone who only builds race engines.

if he wasnt local to you would you be seeking him out for a HT? I doubt it. a HT is forever. find a HT doctors who's practice is built on HT's and HT's only.

Skinny when do you plan on taking the surgery if you decide to go with him..In my mind I am thinking it's between Cooley or Griffin since both are close by..I know that travel should not be a deciding factor but both these docs look top notch ..i like Dr Cooley's result more though and also he's a little cheaper than Griffin ..Have you seen any real life result of Dr Griffin or just pics .

Giveme: Sometime this summer. Cooley looks good too. The only results I've seen have been on individual web sites (which goes for every doctor that I looked into..which was a lot)..which I know you have to consider that they will only put positive results. I'm sure that every doctor out there has an unsatisfied patient..some, mainly the ones that work for franchise outfits, have more unsatisfied patients than others.

GNX:

While geographics are important, they are not the primary driver in the decision process...at least in my case

And I am fully aware that there are plenty other well qualified and excellent surgeons to choose from. From the research I have done, from other sites and commentary on this website, it seems that the surgeon that I more than likely am going with, is one of those qualified surgeons. I mean, I don't think the adms of this site would endorse his work or offer the supporting reviews that I have read if he was some fly by night quack...I'm not sure they would put their credibility and the credibility of this site to offer a false validation. I understand your POV, but are there any specific cases that you are concerned about?

I totally agree..I also was not sure about Dr Griffin before and then I searched more about him and he seems to be doing hair transplants from a long time and also while reading threads found out that he was also a part of the coalition members group when that group was initially formed by Pat..and he's not cheap by any means like other 2$ per graft billboard I have seen recently on the freeways of our beautiful Atlanta...I know the discussion is not about the money here but just sayin..The only thing I noticed is that there aren't many WOW like comments from the seniors here on this forum about Dr Griffin's HT results which I see for other Docs like Feller ,Shapiro ,Cooley etc.

Edited by GiveMeSomeHairs

I totally agree..I also was not sure about Dr Griffin before and then I searched more about him and he seems to be doing hair transplants from a long time and also while reading threads found out that he was also a part of the coalition members group when that group was initially formed by Pat..and he's not cheap by any means like other 2$ per graft billboard I have seen recently on the freeways of our beautiful Atlanta...I know the discussion is not about the money here but just sayin

When is your appointment?

you could get a great HT from a no name doctor no one has ever heard of or you get a horrible HT by a recommended HT doctor. its a calculated risk and if it was me id be searching for a HT doctor that SPECIALIZES in HT surgery only.

could he pull if off with no issues and give you great results? possibly. I would chose to deal in the likely and its more likely that a HT surgeon that ONLY performs HT's for a living will simply have more experience.

if you want a face lift you go to a guy that works on faces only like Dr. Jacono in NY. not a jack of MANY trades doctor.

thats just my opinion but hey knock urself out. but again, I doubt you would be seeking him out if you lived in another state. there are many board members who have traveled accross the globe to get the results they were looking for and convenience was not at the top of their list when making that decision. geographics shud b the least of ur concerns.

you could get a great HT from a no name doctor no one has ever heard of or you get a horrible HT by a recommended HT doctor. its a calculated risk and if it was me id be searching for a HT doctor that SPECIALIZES in HT surgery only.

could he pull if off with no issues and give you great results? possibly. I would chose to deal in the likely and its more likely that a HT surgeon that ONLY performs HT's for a living will simply have more experience.

if you want a face lift you go to a guy that works on faces only like Dr. Jacono in NY. not a jack of MANY trades doctor.

thats just my opinion but hey knock urself out. but again, I doubt you would be seeking him out if you lived in another state. there are many board members who have traveled accross the globe to get the results they were looking for and convenience was not at the top of their list when making that decision. geographics shud b the least of ur concerns.

Was I not clear when I sated that geographics were not a primary driver in my decision process? I mean, of course I'm not going to exclude someone just because they happen to be in my area...that seems rather absurd to me.

As far as other board members that have "traveled the globe" to see their surgeon..I think that's wonderful. I am not able to do that..and quite frankly I don't want to be condescended to because I am not in the position to travel the globe for this purpose. Everyone's timing and finances are different. I mean, it's not like I haven't looked into or seen other surgeons..even Dr. Bernstein in NY said that Griffin had a good reputation and respected in the industry because I told him in passing that I've been doing research on different doctors. I mean I would never consider someone that has a minimal amount of experience, nor has a bad reputation. I've lived in Atlanta for several years, and he has a good reputation in this city...that's what prompted me to start my research with him and then expand outward.

911:

I got info from this site, and another community board...(Bald Truth maybe?), hearing things locally about him, andI also pulled up doctor ratings. When I started this I simply googled "hair transplant message boards" and went from there..which is how I found this site.

GNX1 I know that you are just trying to help and frankly I was thinking the same and maybe ur right that if I was in some other city I may not have considered him so that's why I am also leaning towards Dr Cooley. I also made a post here

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169725-griffin-center-atlanta.html asking about if anybody has heard of Dr Griffin as when I was checking his profile here in Patient experiences there were only a few of them dating back to 2006 but 2 senior people here said he is good and I came to know about the search option for this forum and then did a search on him and came out with many posts..My statement in above post

The only thing I noticed is that there aren't many WOW like comments from the seniors here on this forum about Dr Griffin's HT results which I see for other Docs like Feller ,Shapiro ,Cooley etc.

is because I went through a lot of them and didn't see the kind of response from people on this forum which other Top Docs get like simply wow or amazing so that's why I am also looking into other options.

911Fan you comment should be passed on the publishers here as Dr Griffin is a Coalition member and Board Certified Surgeon.And u are right rarely we see info about him and I m not sure why (maybe his patients don't like posting) but he has been doing this for a very long time and just because you have not heard of him much does not make him a bad surgeon.

What research have you done and what other sites have you seen such great info? I've looked at all the forums and I rarely see anything about Griffin and none of it is good or bad. It's just a name mentioned as being in Atlanta.

GNX1 I know that you are just trying to help and frankly I was thinking the same and maybe ur right that if I was in some other city I may not have considered him so that's why I am also leaning towards Dr Cooley. I also made a post here .
im not saying it will equate to a bad choice. im just sayn there might be a better choice out there for you.