To crown or not to crown

Dear Dr. Mohmand

This is exactly the reply i was hoping for! Thanks for taking your time to do so, it reassures me that picking you as a doctor is definitely a good choice.

I should tell you though that the picture of the crown is taken while the hair is wet, as well as with a flash, and in harsh lights, so it looks worse than it really is. Having looked at maybe 500 pictures of peoples crowns, and how they look pre/post op, i am 99% sure that 1500 grafts would give me GREAT density.

But even just an improved density is satisfying for me.

But as you say, the question is whether i have enough donor.

I think the best sollution is to evaluate on the day of surgery how things look for me, how much donor i have, how my scar looks, and my hairloss pattern. After all the hairline is PRIORITY while the crown remains luxury, but a very nice luxury i really want.

Do you require shaving?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Mike - best of luck whatever you decide. However as I said in my previous post, and Dr Mohmand has confirmed in his post, you should proceed with caution. As you say yourself the crown is a luxury but if you have significant further loss as you get older then filling in other areas further forward may be a necessity not a luxury. As the doc says you are meds at the moment which masks the true progression of your hairloss but the meds could gradually wear off, or you might develop side effects which mean you have to stop taking them. Ultimately none of us can predict the future.

Anyway, best of luck man.

no I do not shave.

Lets do it like this I will see you, will see the donor scar, will see how much can be taken and then once we have the grafts we will see how and where to place it to maximise your out put and yet do not cross the limits.

My point is there are four stages in any ones learning curve

1) What to do

2) How to do

3) when to do

The last stage that makes you different from others is "when not to do" what ever we decide would be after indepth consultation, examination and then execution keeping things up the sleve for future

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

That's a great approach i think, and it's only fair.

I'm currently waiting for some insurance money to arrive which can take weeks, so i'm holding off on scheduling with you, until i have them.

We will definitely see each other before the first week of december, that's for sure.

Originally posted by MikeTheDane:

Coligion: True, i am. Did your shockloss return? How long did it take? Shockloss so far hasn't been a concern for me even though i'm a diffuse thinner (which are usually the ones getting that) and as long as it's not permanent i don't mind even if it happens. But yeah 1000-1200 to the hairline should hotfix me for sure! Still, im very tempted to hit the crown. Very.

Like you, I'm a diffuse thinner. Unfortunately, I don't believe much, if any, of my shock loss hair returned. In terms of benefits, I feel like I took one step forward, and two steps back with my first procedure. That is why I will remain extremely hesitant for round two. Being resistant to shock loss is a quality I envy in you icon_smile.gif

I'm really sorry to hear that. Who was your doctor?