Transplant recommendations for the UK

BenS1

I'm 36 years old and I've been losing my hair for probably 15+ years now. Its not receding from the front at all, rather its a large radius from the crown.... what I'd call a Friar Tuck style.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering a hair transplant, especially now that I've seen that it doesn't necessarily cost ?30k as all the newspapers in the UK always report.

Obviously, as with any surgery, its very important to make sure you're getting a good surgeon if you want good results. There are lots of sites giving advice (Including this one) but much of it is saying stuff such as "make sure you go with someone personally recommended" etc, however as I don't personally know anyone who has had the surgery I can only ask here.

Unfortunately the "Find a Quality Physician" service on this site only lists a single clinic in the whole of the UK, the Farjo clinic. Should I interpret that as meaning that they are the best, or does it mean that they are the only people that have been checked in the UK?

Also, when looking for advice I see that some clinics are pushing FUE as the modern solution and strip transplants (Is that the same as FUT?) as the old way.... whereas others are saying FUE is a bit overhyped and FUT is actually the best.

My concern with FUT is that a linear scar may be fine now, but what if I continue to go bald and ultimately go completely bald when I'm older... I don't really want obvious scars (I know FUE also scars but I believe its less noticable?).

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for clinics in the UK? Is Farjo a leading and recommended clinic?

Thanks

Ben

I have seen some very impressive results from patients that had their procedure performed by Dr. Farjo. I am not saying that the Farjo clinic is the only reputable clinic in the UK. However, I definitely think that should be one of the clinics you visit for consultation and consider having your procedure at.

I'm 36 years old and I've been losing my hair for probably 15+ years now. Its not receding from the front at all, rather its a large radius from the crown.... what I'd call a Friar Tuck style.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering a hair transplant, especially now that I've seen that it doesn't necessarily cost ?30k as all the newspapers in the UK always report.

Obviously, as with any surgery, its very important to make sure you're getting a good surgeon if you want good results. There are lots of sites giving advice (Including this one) but much of it is saying stuff such as "make sure you go with someone personally recommended" etc, however as I don't personally know anyone who has had the surgery I can only ask here.

Unfortunately the "Find a Quality Physician" service on this site only lists a single clinic in the whole of the UK, the Farjo clinic. Should I interpret that as meaning that they are the best, or does it mean that they are the only people that have been checked in the UK?

Also, when looking for advice I see that some clinics are pushing FUE as the modern solution and strip transplants (Is that the same as FUT?) as the old way.... whereas others are saying FUE is a bit overhyped and FUT is actually the best.

My concern with FUT is that a linear scar may be fine now, but what if I continue to go bald and ultimately go completely bald when I'm older... I don't really want obvious scars (I know FUE also scars but I believe its less noticable?).

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for clinics in the UK? Is Farjo a leading and recommended clinic?

Thanks

Ben

My quandary was similar but in the end I travelled to Hasson & Wong in Vancouver and am very happy with the results. It surprises me that the UK is such a rotten place for good HT work. The experiences of many at the hands of a few bad doctors have really tarnished the UK's reputation and must make it difficult for good doctors in good clinics to set the record straight. The Farjos are, I think, starting to do that, although the photos on their website don't really do them any favours and tend to show conservative numbers of grafts spread rather far and wide on high Norwood class, older men. They do seem to be doing much larger numbers of grafts now and also do some FUE. Another doctor worth considering is Dr Lupanzula at the Glasgow Clinic. He apparently co-founded the BHR clinic in Brussels with Dr Bisanga. Like Dr Bisanga, he does FUE as well as FUT. Clinics I would avoid are those operating as a franchise where there's no guarantee that any particular doctor will do the procedure.

FUE or FUT is a tricky decision. If you need large numbers of grafts (3000+), then FUT is really the best option. The scar that's left is very fine if the HT is done by a skilled practitioner and some people believe that staples are better than sutures. The advantage of FUT is that the area where the strip is removed is then covered up by existing hair, so in your case, your appearance would be back to your pre-op state pretty quickly after the procedure apart from the grafts implanted in your crown. With FUE, the donor area needs to be shaved, so it's often best to get all your hair buzzed down. Another thing to add to the decision making is your family history of MPB. Also, have you been using minoxidil and/or finasteride?

Regards,

Postdoc

Thanks for your replies.

Another thing to add to the decision making is your family history of MPB. Also, have you been using minoxidil and/or finasteride?

To be honest, there is no MPB in my family. My Dad has a full head of hair still (And yes he definitely is my Dad as I have the exact same ears (Unfortunately)).

I've not tried minoxidil or finasteride as I'm not really a fan of playing around with my bodies chemistry and hormones. I'm not saying that others shouldn't use it, but for me I'd be happier with a hair transplant than using long term medication.

Thanks again

Ben