Eventual NW5, how much will I need to save?

First, I'd like to introduce myself. It's good to know that there's a community somewhere for people like myself. Hair loss is tough...but especially when it's premature. I started balding about 4 years ago, and it all started with a hair cut. I was just 18. The left side of my hair line had a little space that wasn't there...probably wouldn't have been noticeable to most people. I thought it was just the barber's mistake...but after a few weeks I realized it was the first signs of hair loss. I started studying up, checking out library books and scanning forums like these online to get as much information as possible. Although I know a lot about hair loss prevention, unfortunately being a college student I don't have the financial means to keep up with treatments---whether they be questionable herbal supplements like saw palmetto, or more reliable but undoubtedly controversial things like Propecia.

I'm 22 sitting at about a Norwood Stage 3 (vertex) for hair loss. With Toppik, I'm still able to style my hair to make the hair loss completely undetectable, but my hairline is receding to the point where soon I won't be able to achieve even this. Over the next 3-4 years I can save about $20,000 for a hair transplant. Who knows how far my hair loss will have progressed by then, but I'll estimate that I'll be at around NW4 or NW5. It's going pretty rapidly, and I'm trying to use Rogaine to keep it at bay. The Rogaine seems to be working, but the issue I can't seem to stay on it consistently, and it seems only to help with slowing the hair loss, rather than stopping or regrowing.

If I am looking at a potential NW4 or NW5 scalp to work with by the time I need a hair transplant, how many grafts and/or follicles will I need to cover that, and about how much would that cost on average? I am African-American as well, so given my hair texture will there be an techniques or surgical methods that may help me to maximize my coverage, potentially at a lower cost? Thanks.

I was a NW 5 and had 5229 grafts done. I am going for anoher 3500 which shold give me decent complete coverage but I am not sure how that corelates to african american hair since the texture is very different than mine.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I was a NW 5 and had 5229 grafts done. I am going for anoher 3500 which shold give me decent complete coverage but I am not sure how that corelates to african american hair since the texture is very different than mine.

Christ, you needed that much done? Can someone also break down for me the difference between a graft and a follicle, or if there is one? Also, approximately how much did the first 5229 run you?

A NW5 is very advanced. No less than 6000 grafts will give anyone decent complete coverage regardless of donor hair texture and mine is medium to fine. The average hairs per grafts are about 2.0. My first op was about 17k and worth every penny.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Christ, you needed that much done? Can someone also break down for me the difference between a graft and a follicle, or if there is one? Also, approximately how much did the first 5229 run you?

The term "unit" refers to a follicular unit (or follicular unit graft). In the scalp, hair grows in natural 1-4 follicle "clumps" which are called follicular units. Because these units represent the natural scalp growth pattern, follicular units are isolated and transplanted as "follicular unit grafts" in hair transplant surgery.

Hope this helps clarify!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.