Is Redness normal in donor area 3 weeks post op?

Hello All,

It has been exactly 3 weeks post operation.

I have still the redness in donor area . Is this normal or am I getting some infection? If this is normal, how long does the redness persist?

Also on one end of scar, there is a white spot and I am wondering what it is.

I do not have any constant major pain - just a slight pinching feeling periodically in donor area from time to time.

So at this point, the donor area does not feel like fully normal to me. Should I be seeing a surgeon? My original surgeon is in India and I am in California now.

Kamlesh_Redness1.JPG.6b4ef7f22ca4a287abf23094ec2abbdf.JPG

Kamlesh_White_Spot.JPG.412bd7fc5fe549ee14dccfaa70d5fbb6.JPG

Three weeks isn't long and redness is to be expected. Superficial nerves also get cut when the strip is removed, so don't be surprised if you experience numbness or other sensations in the months ahead. I'm guessing that the wound was closed with sutures and the white area at the end of the scar in the 2nd pic could be where there's some infection, so get your own family doctor to check it out. It's always possible that a suture or two weren't removed which could predispose to infection.

I was worried initially. Asked my doc and she said sometimes redness can last even few months. Was not comfortable wih her reply and asked here. Now from everyone's experience it does seem I have nothing to worry about.

Update- Redness is becoming lesser and I am in 4th week now. Hopefully it does not return back. My bro told me that any wound heals many times faster if left dry.

Thats just nature's way to heal it up.

So taking head shower only once a week and keeping it all dry and it is paying off.

I had a transplant in October. My hairline was brought down slightly and to make it look natural, the sides of the temples had to be brought in slightly as well. I'm 2 1/2 months in and I still have some redness in the lower temple area. It's fading though. No worries at all.