Time to start getting serious about a HT, experienced advice needed inside!

Hey team,

Some of you may be familiar with me already, but as always I like to refresh the current situation with my hair, and all. I am 23 in 2 months time, and I have been observing my hair all over for the last 2 years with both pictures and videos. I've been on Rogaine twice daily for 15 months, I use a Kenocotazal shampoo every 3 days for 10 minutes and I have been on Propecia 1/2 mg every 3 days for the last 3 months or so (Due to side effects, I'm going to try and very slowly raise my dosage to maybe 1mg every other day). So besides my previous failed attempts with propecia, my regime has been very stable and I've made sure to keep a good diary to indicate when and how much things changed.

Considering my feelings over a year ago, I definitely think that my hair is in better shape than I had expected, it seems thick at the crown and it's as good on top as it is on the sides, however the frontal third is definitely thinner, and the hairline is ever so slowly receding. I think I have really good donor as the back, for some strange reason is really thick and full. is this normal for some? the sides aren't even as thick as the back. it just seem I have way more hair there, but i think it's always been the case.

If my hairloss has significantly reduced and I can stick to my regime, am i a decent candiate in the next 12-24 months for a HT of 1500-2500~ grafts in the frontal 3rd to beef up my density, and add more of a hairline, as mine is slowly diminishing?

Thanks

Also, If you guys want to see some pictures, here is my blog:

Hair Restoration Journal for MakeTotalDestroy - Video update

I'll post a current picture later on, but things haven't really changed much in the last 6 months, besides losing an inch or so going backwards on either side of the hairline.

Here is my hair as of today. Just recorded this, a quick all over to show you my hair in all areas. can I get some comments on my donor? I don't think there is any thinning on the crown, and i've always been able to see my scalp wherever i'd parted it, but you can definitely appreciate how my hairline is receding slowly, and the frontal third is thin (especially with that thin spot in the very front middle.)

This video doesn't do it justice for the best of the days, it usually looks a lot worse and more lifeless.

also I know I need my haircut, I've been rtying to grow it out like it was many years ago, and it just isn't working. I found some pictures from when I was a teen, and my the hair at the front part of my hair is definitely noticably thinner and less of.

http://youtu.be/FyZeVE3Cfcg

I wouldn't usually comb it that much, and that hard, but because I have quite curly hair, it can get tangled easily when i dry it like that, so i have to brush hard to get through it. also wanted to give the all over for the video :)

Seems like you'd be a solid candidate. I think you've taken all the necessary preventive steps, and it appears as if you have realistic goals. Are you considering any physicians in particular?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the reply, mate :) well I wouldn't mind holding off for another year either, just to get an even more solid idea of my hairloss, but I figured I only get this part of my life once, I wanna live my early years with as good a hairline as possible.

As for surgeons, I don't mind traveling, It definitely won't be in the UK due to ridiculous costs, maybe one of the top Canadian doctors, or Dr Path in Asia (I think Thailand?) as he always has great results

Granted I am not an expert but... @ 23 with very early hair loss, are you really a good candidate for HT at this point? From your video you hair looks pretty good.

I would seriously consider waiting until your late 20's, at least, to determine what your balding pattern is going to be. Donor is limited and if you take 2000 grafts and densely pack them into your 23 year old hair line, you may end up with an "un-natural" looking balding pattern later in life.....and not enough donor left to make it look right (e.g. density).

Just my 2 cents....

That video really makes it look better than it actually is, to be honest.

And it's 1500-2500 grafts (though more than likely closer to the 1500 part) spread in the frontal 3rd. If anything, I want to add density to that zone, the hairline bothers me the least (though I would want to add some grafts to restore what's lost.)

I know I'm in a better situation than some even younger than me, within this community, but in the real world I'm "balding". My hair at the front of my head is about half the density it is everywhere else, and that really fucks me up inside. I've done everything I can personally do to help matters, and I'm being patient and realistic in my goals.

I just figured I'd ask for more people's opinions on the matter here.

Maybe I should contact some doctors for their advice....

Edited by MyNameIsRich