If i'm ready for a transplant

Bmorebalding

I’m new to this forum and I got a couple of questions I want to ask and I would appreciate it if possibly a doctor could also answer them.

My Story:

My hair loss started around early 17, started with my front temples receding, back of the crown and a little in the middle. I don't have a drain plug so I washed my hair in the sink and i would see 30-40+ hairs in the sink every morning. Everytime i would brush my fingers through my hair 10 times I would lose 5-10 hairs, and if I were to pull just a portion of my hair i would see 5 hairs in my hand.

I am now 21, 22 in january and I think my thinning has slower down but I want to be sure. For the pasted 5 months, I used SAW Palmetto (320mg) everyday and use Rogaine in mornings and night. If I were to wash my hair into the sink I would find 10-20 hairs, I don't notice alot of hairs on my pillow, if I pull at my hair I'll see maybe 1 or 2 at max but most the time no hairs at all! also I notice if I run my fingers through my hair 10 times i may see 1-3 hair fall out but most the time no hairs at all! Also in class I don’t see random hairs of mine on the desk like I used to, I can play iwht my hair and not see alot fall out, I can also mess with it while its wet and not see alot fall out.

PICTURE: my hair wet

photo2.jpg

So here are my questions

Should I be considering a hair transplant? (I was thinking around June 2013)

Is 10-20 hairs falling out when I wash excessive or normal?

Should I consider buying a Laser Comb to thicken my hair?

What other products can I use to increase density?

Does it seem like my hairloss is going to get worse?

Is the redness around my head normal? (I did just take a shower)

If someone with hairloss experience or a transplant doctor could answer my questions, I would GREATLY appreciate it, Thanks!

Should I be considering a hair transplant? (I was thinking around June 2013)

If you have to ask this question then the answer is no. No one "should" be considering a hair transplant. This is an elective surgery. Cardiac surgery should be done, not hair transplant surgery. Only you can determined if you should have surgery and that is when the loss is driving you mad and you have lost enough hair to where a surgery would make a cosmetic improvement.

If you were to come to our clinic at your age we would tell you absolutely not.

Is 10-20 hairs falling out when I wash excessive or normal?

Fairly normal especially if you use product to spike your hair as seen in your photo on a regular basis. We lose about 100 to 150 hairs per day on average.

Should I consider buying a Laser Comb to thicken my hair?

No

What other products can I use to increase density?

Consider Propecia. It is far better than saw palmetto. Consider that it takes up to two years to see the final improvements with Propecia before it plateaus so do not judge it's usefulness too early on.

Does it seem like my hairloss is going to get worse?

Without preventative medication your hair loss will get worse. Hair loss is progressive.

Is the redness around my head normal? (I did just take a shower)

For some, yes. Assuming you use hot water in the shower the amount of blood flow is increased closer to the scalp thus giving you the reddish appearance.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Great Answers Jotronic. You are indeed the HT mentor :-)

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I never tell a patient he "needs" a transplant. In fact you need nothing at all. From a clinical standpoint ,it is also possible you had periods of telogen effluvium, although I canot make any diagnosis without a proper medical consult and evaluation. Your numbers of hair loss per day are within normal limits, Telogen effluvium can occur from stressful periods alone in your life. I have seen guys thin out worse than you simply from stress alone, althoug this is short lived. I have a video at Jupiterderm Skin and Hair Doc which describes this more in detail with women but is also seen in men. Normal hair loss per day is estimated between 50 to 150 hairs per day. We can not be absolutely sure about the redness without a good personal exam, although the etiologies, can be seborrheic dermatitis, irritant dermatitis and the early beginnings of lichenplanopilaris, a scarring type of alopecia ( rare) and even flushing post showering. Medical therapy is recommended if you have androgenetic alopecia. If you have hair loss due to telogen effluvium, the hairs will typically regrow on their own and absolutely no medical therapy is warranted. Patients that have a slow gradual progression of hair loss over years typically have androgenetic alopecia especially if you have a family history. If you experience acute periods of a lot of hairs falling out at times or shedding( especially over 3 months) with some stabilization, you could have telogen effluvium. Many patients have a combination of both.