Shaved or not in recipient site

I am considering a HT by strip method and had a quick question regarding two different methods by two very well regarded doctors. This concerns the recipient site.

One doctor proceeds by shaving the area, in my case the frontal lobe, before proceeding with the implantation. The other doctor does not shave the area and just works around the hair you currently have in plae regardless of length.

Is there a major difference between the two with respect to efficacy of implants, shock loss to existing hair, recovery, etc.

I would prefer to not have to shave the front third of my head while leaving the rest longer as it would look quite peculiar from an aesthetic perspective, but notwithstanding my vanity I would prefer the better procedure.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi

I met Mr Wong (Hasson and Wong) this week and he has advised me that he will shave off my frontal core, 3 reasons why:

To see more clearly

Get the angle of the Grafts placed correctly

Overall, you will get better results.

thanks Jay. That was my understanding as well, which is why it surprised me that this other surgeon was willing to proceed without shaving my head. The prospect of having my head shaved, only partly, does make me consider having FUE rather than the strip method, since i could just shave my entire head and not have to deal with the linear scar.

Is that something you considered as well?

Thanks

Im looking to do my second HT, I did question Mr Wong about having FUE, but he still recommended having FUT over FUE. Ive not decided what to do yet. Im going to see an FUE clinic and see what they have to say aswell.

Interesting that he recommended FUT. He is definitely one of the best in the business from what I read. I am considering between Dr. Lindsey here in Virginia and Dr. Charles in Boca Raton. I think it would be FUT with either but I am just debating in light of the shaving my head issue. Dr. Charles indicated that he does not shave the crown even though it means more work for him. They both seem like great guys with superior reputations.

I am also going to Consult Dr.Lindsey for HT, if shaving the head is what he recommends then I would say go for it , we shouldn't regret in the future if the results are not as expected bcoz of this one thing.

BTW when is your procedure and how long it took for you to get the date after consultation.

I completely agree with you about the regret aspect of this. My understanding from talking to others is that the reason that some doctors want you to shave your head is for their convenience of being able to see better where to place the grafts. And, of course, that could lead to better results. But I also need to consider what I am going to look like for the several months post procedure until the new hair grow in or the old hair grows back. The other option would be to just shave my entire head and deal with the scar being visible, which Dr. Lindsey does not recommend.

I don't have an appointment yet but I was looking to do the procedure in January.

I still haven't made my final decision, but I will say that I would trust Dr. Lindsey completely, even if I select the other doctor.

I completely agree with you about the regret aspect of this. My understanding from talking to others is that the reason that some doctors want you to shave your head is for their convenience of being able to see better where to place the grafts. And, of course, that could lead to better results. But I also need to consider what I am going to look like for the several months post procedure until the new hair grow in or the old hair grows back. The other option would be to just shave my entire head and deal with the scar being visible, which Dr. Lindsey does not recommend.

I don't have an appointment yet but I was looking to do the procedure in January.

I still haven't made my final decision, but I will say that I would trust Dr. Lindsey completely, even if I select the other doctor.

Have you spoken to other doctors who do this procedure?