Thyroid Problem/ Hair loss?

I have been on Propecia for a year and a half. Nothing has grown back, but it has not gotten worse. I had thinning on my crown, and no where else. I'm 24 and had a thyroid test and my levels were around 6, dr said 4-5 is normal. I was prescribed Synthroid ( 0.05 mg) and have read that it MAY cause hair loss. Has anybody dealt with Synthroid and Propecia? Should I be worried? It seems Propecia has stopped my hair loss,I am hoping Synthroid won't have a negative effect.

Thanks guys!

Mike,

Hypothyroidism can definitely cause hair loss. The synthyroid is simply thyroid hormone replacement, and I believe the hair loss would be caused by the condition (hypothyroid) and not the medication to fix the ailment.

In this situation, I think the best plan of action is to make sure you're regularly having your "levels" (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) and free T4) checked by a physician (ideally an endocrinologist), and ensure he/she has no problem with the finasteride usage (I cannot think of a medical/physiological contraindication to finasteride usage in hypothyroid patients).

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi,

If your hair loss is do to a hormonal imbalance from your thyroid or other endocrine issues; it is really important to have those issues resolved first. HT is most successful in treating pattern baldness most often found in men and in some women. They are referred to as MPB and FPB. Be sure to have the appropriate microscopic evaluation from a medical doctor specializing in HT. Better choosing one from HTN. A determination needs to be made that your hair loss is from androgenic alopecia and the predicated advancement of your hair loss before an informed decision can be made on your first HT. Hope this helps, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum