Hair loss help

Hi,

Recently I noticed my hair is getting thinner in the crown area. I went to the doctor and he recommended that I start using Minoxidil 5% with azelaic acid (liquid not foam) twice a day. Now I have some questions which I would like to ask:

1) Can anyone who have tried this tell me if it really works?

2) If i use it once daily instead of twice, will it work? and when will i start noticing an improvement?

3) One of the side effects of this product is that at first, it will cause hair loss. Will this happen to everyone using this product? and will the hair loss be noticeable?

4) will this product increase hair growth or just prevent more hair loss?

5) Is Minoxidil effective for the front crown area?

6) the doctor also told me that washing my hair twice a day (which i do) is ok as long as i use a mild shampoo. He also told me that using gel and hair dryer is ok. Is this true? because i read on the net that all of these will contribute to hair loss.

7) if the hair loss is caused by stress, will this product make any difference?

I would prefer if these questions are answered by someone who have already/ is using Minoxidil 5% with azelaic acid.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English

dritch,

Many hair loss sufferers, including relatives of mine have had great success with 5% minoxidil, even when used only one time a day. That said, it's recommended to use it twice daily to maximize the absorption of minoxidil to the scalp.

Though minoxidil is only "proven" in the back of the scalp, I've seen evidence that it can also be successful in the frontal areas as well. Do note however, that no non-surgical hair loss treatment is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas. Only hair transplant surgery is proven to do that.

Regular stress isn't a cause of hair loss although traumatic or very high levels of stress can. Minoxidil has been proven to be effective for this kind of hair loss as well, although most traumatic stress induced hair loss returns on its own after stress is reduced.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

One of the side effects of Minoxidil is that hair can shed at first. Does this happen to everyone? if it does not happen, does that mean that it is not working? and my big question is; will the shed be visible/noticeable?

Another question. Someone told me that with Minoxidil I have to use finasteride/dutasteride, otherwise it will not work as expected. Is this true?

Thanks in advance

shedding is common at first. but dont let that make you not try it.

i did shed as well when i first started using minoxidil, but it wasnt very noticeable. i dont think anyone would have noticed anything, i could hardly see it but that was only because i would observe very carefully and closely.

keep in mind that everyone sheds differently.

when i first used it, i used it only on the temples and it did work (not to a geat extent, but it did) - i wasnt losing hair / thinning in the crown at that time, so did not have to use it in crown initially.

using it with finasteride would work better then on its own.

i would say small new hairs starting sprouting in about 6-8 weeks.

again everyone responds differently.

good luck buddy.