Medication doses post HR surgery

After my baptism of fire last week, I wish to focus on the original reason I joined this site.

It’s not a controversial issue, so hopefully everyone can remain happy little vegemites.

I also need to point out, I was not censored, but rather threatened with censorship.

- “you are going to have to find somewhere else to post”

- “you will no longer be allowed to post here”

- “your next post will be your last one”

- “why should I allow you to continue posting here”

Anyway, back to the issue: Medication doses post HR surgery

I may be a junior member on this site, however at 51 years old I’m a veteran hair loss sufferer.

I’ve been taking Propecia 1mg every day for the last 15 years since it was released in the late nineties, and I’ve only been using 5% minoxidil once (not twice) a day since my HR surgery 16 months ago.

I understand the drug industry has a vested interest in us continuing on the recommended doses indefinitely.

But surely the dosage for us ever growing number of HR patients should be different?

I’ve been advised we only need Propecia 1mg twice a week for life, and 5% minoxidil once a day for only 2 years post surgery.

What have you guys been advised?

Rob

I have heard many different regimes. The problem is the lack of independent research comparing various regimes and dosages. It would not be in the pharmaceutical companies interest to perform further research and suggest lower doses!

Naturally, I think that it is important to follow or strongly listen to the advice of the HT doctor. If you trusted him with your surgery then he must have built your trust with good advice beforehand.

The standard does tend to be:

1mg finasteride daily

5% minoxidil twice daily

Ketoconazole between twice a week to every second day

My niche area of expertise is with bimatoprost. I recommend daily application for 4-5 months then applying every second day or three times per week afterwards.

Thanks for that Tom.

I understand it's not in the pharmaceutical companies financial interest to release research findings suggesting lower doses.

Dr Martinick's vast experience and extensive research has found:

- finasteride remains in your system for several days, hence 1mg two to three times a week is adequate, and

- minoxidil is only effective short term.

I'll continue to follow her advice, and if I notice any negative change slightly increase the dose.

In the mean time, it would be great to hear from any of her learned colleagues in the Coalition who may have an opinion on this matter.

Rob