Best way to conceal a FUT procedure for the first month?

I've had one FUT procedure of 2,093 grafts and am mostly happy with the results, but I'd like a higher density (right now it's about 40% coverage). I'm told that'll take about another 1,500 grafts. This sounds pretty reasonable to me, but I'm worried about being able to conceal the procedure.

I used to live alone so it was easy last time, but now I live with a roommate. I could take a two-week vacation, but I'm worried the operation could be visible afterwards. What are the best ways to conceal the procedure for the first month? I'd really prefer that nobody ever found out. I've been concealing with Toppik for years and would like to have enough density through the transplant so that I can stop doing that, but I need to be able to transition without detection and I can't wear a hat 24/7. Any suggestions, or am I out of luck?

Keep your hair length longer and even consider using a concealer for the recipient area. You only need approximately 1 1/2 inches in the donor area to hide the sutures. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

i'm a big fan of dermmatch, if you're not already using it, i recommend you try it out. it takes a while to figure out how to apply it so it works with your situation, but just take a hand mirror and an afternoon and play around with it. however, i don't think it would be a good idea to apply dermmatch within the first few weeks, maybe even a little longer, should ask your doctor. i would definitely take those two weeks off, start taking biotin, and catch up on some tv/movies. also, don't be embarrassed if your roommate finds out, or for that matter anyone else. you're taking steps to improve your life, nothing to be ashamed about :)

if you do try dermmatch, i'd recommend getting two different color disks in case you have to mix. the medium brown has a red tint to it, and the dark brown has a grey tint to it. things i didn't know until i was at work and only the top of my head was a little red :( also, i've had better luck with a moist makeup sponge than i did with the small applicator wands that come with it.

I told everyone close to me that I would be seeing, that allowed me to be hat free with those I didn't want to hide it from. If we did go out in public, I didn't need to explain the hat as they knew why I'd have it on.

That openness was great for me. I wouldn't tell just anybody but I'm so glad I told those close few people....would have felt very claustrophobic otherwise.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

If this is just adding density and you have existing longish hair... I would think after 2-3 weeks you could hide it. Get some graftocyte and use it heavily the 1st 2-3 days, then lighter for the rest of the week..... this REALLY helped me to 1) not develop scabs and 2) the ones I had were small and fell off easily by the end of the 1st week.

As for skin complexion (redness) I use a green redness concealer and mineral power based foundation(or whatever they call it) on top of it. Both can be found at your favorite drug store chain. I'm about 2 months post-op and my scalp is still pink... have to do the makeup routine every day (getting old). Don't rub your scalp until 3 weeks to be completely safe.

BTW how quickly did you heal from your 1st procedure? i.e. how long until it wasn't too noticeable?