Long Hair transplant advice

Seni

Hi, I'm new here, 43 years old, been losing my hair for the last 10 years and probably between Norwood 4 to 5. I don't expect full head of hair but would certainly like to fill my scalp with a little more hair. I tend to keep my hair short.

Appreciate advice and recommendation of doctors based in India and Thailand only.

I would like to go back to work 6 days after my surgery without the appearance of having gone through HT (discretion is absolutely necessary due to the nature of work).

Though highly recommended, that rules out FUT due to the cut at the back of the head and the shaving required at the front. However, is there anyone who can share their experience while insisting to keep their hair?

Therefore, am I right to assume that FUE would better suit my requirement. Do I have to shave for FUE procedure or can I keep my existing hair?

Still waiting for confirmation from Dr. Madhu from Hydrebad, but his website mentions long hair transplant. This procedure is most appealing for me. any comments or experience with such a procedure?

Thank you every one.

• 1 month later...

You will need to speak to your doctor regarding which is best for your scenarion. In my practice whether I do fue or fut, you typically should not see punch scar or strip scars. We can shave just small portions of the scalp for fue. If you are doing a large procedure, then shaving would certainly be easier for fue. Strip is more efficient and can hide the scar in the back easily with longer hair styles. We do not require shaving the recipient site. Hence you can blend it in to existing hair. The only downside is the scanning and crusting for the first week or so which could be more noticeable. Wearing a hat will definitely help hide what you have done. I would advise wearing a hat regularly for two to four weeks before so people get used to you wearing a hat and will not ask questions once the procedure is done.

Hi Seni-

Welcome to the forums!! You mentioned that you need discretion for the nature of your work....but as a NW IV or V, wouldn't a hair transplant be evident once your hair starts growing in, given the dramatic transformation it will make? Maybe you meant discretion strictly speaking of the healing process of your transplant? At any rate, I imagine FUE would be a more viable solution to the results it sounds like you're trying to achieve, and within the time frame that you're looking to be out before you head back to work.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, and best of luck to you on your hair restoration journey!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Yes with fut we do not shave the back of the head. We only shave the area that is removed. The hairs will then hide any sutures easily. Even for the donor area we do not require shaving the head. My patient population likes to get back to work with as normal appearing head as possible.