Kirkland Minoxidil irritation after 4months of it originally being fine? :/

Brad123

I have been using Kirkland Minoxidil for around 4 months now. I am a university student and was using it whilst back home. I never had any irritation and it dried fine and I am sure that I was seeing steady result in thickening my hair around my receding hairline. I was encouraged by the fact that when showering my hair wasn't coming out.

However since moving back to university and using the liquid, my scalp has become extremely itchy and seems to have dry skin where I put it on. I woke up to day and found that my skin had been weeping as it does after you get a scab. Wasn't sure if this was because of be scrathcing my head and possibly cutting the skin. It has started to burn when putting it on.

I'm not sure whether it may be a difference in water as I have moved from south to north, or whether it is a different shampoo I am using (a deep cleansing one to remove wax build up).

It just seems strange after using it for so long without irritation that it I am now getting this irritation.

I am debating not using for a week or so and letting the scalp heal from dryness and then buy some foam in hope that it has less irritation.

Does anyone have experience or any knowledge on why after 4months+ of it being fine that it is now causing me problems.

New to the forum so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Have you considered switching to the foam? The generic version is now available, and because the foam doesn't contain ethylene glycol, it is supposed to cause less scalp irritation.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I was debating looking into the foam and think I may give it a go. Do you recommend allowing my scalp to heal first and then using the foam or just by time it arrives hope for the best and see if it is the ethylene glycol causing the problems?

As said before just strange that after 4 months it is now starting to cause irritation.

How long of a healing break were you considering?

Obviously, if it is irritated, you don't want to cause any additional pain, but minoxidil needs to be used continuously for regrowth and stabilization to occur. If you stop the medication for too long, you can lose your progress and need to restart from your initial baseline.

However, stopping or starting any medication regimen (even one that's over the counter) should really be discussed with a trusted physician. It might be a good idea to plan on simply starting the foam when it arrives, but also scheduling an appointment with a Dermatologist or primary care physician to review your scalp and the medication changes in the time being.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I bought foam earlier and have shipping it from US to UK so im hoping a week to 2 weeks maximum. I am going to try and stop for a couple days to let my scalp get better and then use once nightly.

I am hoping the foam will work, or that it is just down to a product/water change. Hoping to not lose the progress I was really beginning to see.

Sounds like a plan. Go see a doc if the irritation continues, too!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

After buying the foam and trying it, it still seems to have the same effect, aka the weeping of the skin, and red patch around my scalp.

I think I could deal with it, as I feel once back home it will be fine again. However would the burning and irritation cause to further hair loss? Is it recommended to stop completely and carry on once again when back home or to brave it out and maybe only use once a day instead?

Will be going to the doctors in a weeks time to see if they can recommend what might be the problem.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Same issue with me. Exact same. Went to an allergist and he says I am not allergic to the kirkland minoxidil. In my case It took 6 months before the irritate and weeping started. Brad123, were you able to overcome the issue?