Help please-Newbie w/ couple postop questions about 3 1/2 wks out

Hairs in follicles grafted

Does the number of hairs in the follicles that are transplanted stay the same?

I had like 3800 follicles transplanted of which so many were 2 hair 3 hair etc.

Does the number of hairs in grafted follicles stay the same or can change?

I had many that were up to 5 hairs so would like to think that the number of hairs would dtay the same or not vary much.

As a side question. I am 3 1/3 weeks out and have been wearing hats or bandana's to work with a "bad haircut" excuse. Should I give it up & just let folks know as it will get worse before it gets better or just hang in there. I still have to post pics but had 3800 or so grafts placed.

Last question---I have enjoyed seeing my grafted hairs grow. Its seems like last few days it has slowed down especially near the front. Is that a prelude to them shedding?

Thanks to all & promise to get my blog/pics up soon.

progress.gif

In most cases the number of follicles in the grafts would be the same as the number of hair that grow. However, there are times when only some of the hairs in the grafts grow successfully. (example: 3 hair follicular unit grafts on grows 2 hairs ). If you are lucky enough to have 4 and 5 hair follicular units that could only help the density. Often the transplanted hairs do grow a little bit before they shed. Do not be to dissapointed if this happens. Whether or not you should let your co-workers know you had the procedure is really a matter of how comfortable you will be if they know. Did you have to shave your head for the procedure? Did you have any post operative shock?

I did have to shave my head-at least in the transplanted areas which is all of the top of my head.

There is some shock loss on all 3 sides of the transplanted areas. I figure that since the transplanted areas will all shed-it will just look worse for a few months so might as well let folks know (not that big a deal) as I don't want to keep it covered for months.

I assumed that the 2, 3, 3 or 5 hairs meant the numberf of hairs in the follicle and that there is 1 follicle/graft. So that's not the case, and it is 1 hair only per follicle and that some grafts have 2, 3 or 4 follicles?

Thanks again!

BTW I am an Emergency Medicine MD, but alas fairly ignorant of this area, at least up till now.