The dangers of using minox - [MUST READ]

lynx86

Dear Friends,

I've seen some awesome results on Rogaine foam for about 2 years. I was really happy, my hair became full after it was already thinning strongly. However, it is a double edged blade. I started having massive heart palps and markedly increased anxiety and sometimes even panic attacks. After stopping the minox the problems went away slowly but surely. I feel that If I would have continued using I would have been stuck with some serious heart condition or an anxiety disorder. My cardiologist agrees that I should lay off the minox.

Before considering using minox for long or short please visit this site and just CTRL + F and search for "Heart, Anxiety" etc. on ** outside link removed by moderator ** and you will see what it can do to you :eek:. There are also a few studies done on the effects of Minox on Left Ventricular mass and it's not good... The studies are not very representative because of the small sample size and control variables but nevertheless they indicate that there is a Risk.

Please be careful with what you do to your body for a few hairs. If you are serious about getting your hair back just save some cash and do a transplant or just live with your thinning hair...

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Lynx,

Thank you for sharing your experience. However, in the future, remember that our community does not host outside links.

Like you described in your post, minoxidil, when used in certain ways, can be a pretty potent drug. As many probably know, the drug is frequently used in patients suffering from heart failure and harmful hypertension, and truly acts as an effective vasodilator (an agent that relaxes and increases the diameter of blood vessels).

However, keep the following in mind: when used to treat heart failure or hypertension, minoxidil is taken in an oral form and is absorbed and utilized in very high concentrations. Many of the issues being discussed here don't pertain to utilizing a 5%, topical solution on the scalp.

Regardless, it's important for our members to realize that all medications, even ones proven to halt progressive hair loss, carry side effects and research and a physician consultation are both crucial when contemplating a new drug.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.