Beta Blockers and Hair Loss

Shorty B

I just started a very low dose of a beta blocker (metoprolol tartrate) two months ago and take 12.5 mg in Am and about 8 mg in PM. I could swear I'm noticing some more hair in my comb lately (from front and top), like 20 or so hairs a day. That problem had seemed to diminish greatly over the years as I would hardly ever notice hair in my comb anymore (most of it fell out in my 20's and the HT hair isn't going anywhere). I read that only about 1% of people even report hair loss on this drug and I'm not sure if that is at higher doses as 25 mg is the lowest does, with 50 and 100 mg being more typical. I only started taking this fro some benign PVC's I was having. I'm thinking of stopping the med after talking to cardio since it's not medically needed, it just reduces my symptoms. If the beta-blocker is causing thinning, are there any ones that don't given the low dosage I take. And...will my hair grow back?

Scheduled to get a HT with Dr. Dorin in Nov. It's been about 4 1/2 yrs since my last one with Dr. Katz.

Hey Mate,

Sorry to hear your experiencing that. Hair loss is a side effect of metoprolol tartrate. See if your prescribing physician can prescribe something else to treat the condition you have. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Most beta blockers list hair loss as a side effect, and I've read a lot about Toprol being notorious for it.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

i'm seeing the cardiologist tomorrow morning and hopefully can get off it quickly. Anybody know if your hair (transplanted included) grows back if I've only been on this med for 10 weeks. I would hope so but heard somewhere that even if you stop taking a beta blocker the lose is usually permanent? Doen't seem to add up to me. Anybody with experience please let me know. Again, very lose does and short period of time on it.