Propecia 1 year ( no results but not getting better) see photo

CharlotteMike

Hi everyone I am 24 years old. I started Propecia in August 2011. I noticed a bald spot/ thinning hair 2 years ago. After 1 year, I did something about it and got on Propecia. It has been 1 year, and it has not gotten any better. But it has not gotten any worse ( to my knowledge). Would you guys recommend starting Rogaine? I only have crown thinning, and I am not receding at the moment.

PS

Could my thinning crown have slowed down naturally? I didnt see much if any difference between 2 years ago, 1 year and now ( so i was on meds only 1 year, and it looked the same from when i wasnt on Propecia). I have been told by barbers that I have a cowlick there also. How much bigger would my bald spot get if i was continuing to bald these past 2 years? Could it look almost the same after 2 years?

Also I tried Nioxin to make it look more thick in November, gave up after 2 weeks because it burned. NOW my barber says I have red scalp and dry scalp. Could Nioxin do this after quiting it for 8 months now? And If I want to do rogaine, can i start with a dry scalp?

I took photos in different light. The pics with the line down my head is when I part my hair ( the way style my hair)

Thanks everyone!

5b32d3f4b32de_Photoon2012-08-07at15_264.jpg.7d78510d145d36a35738b0e250637912.jpg

5b32d3f4c6b50_Photoon2012-08-07at15_243.jpg.de8327d63c18679643d78e6c2ecee3ea.jpg

5b32d3f4df122_Photoon2012-08-07at15_26.jpg.81ae80c308389535655ffe647bec2a1d.jpg

5b32d3f4ecc7a_Photoon2012-08-07at15_25.jpg.a9cc6e63bb889bb6d113a5b61a0bf217.jpg

5b32d3f512063_Photoon2012-08-07at15_253.jpg.fe3d08f301b8b0b792a845bb9249c192.jpg

5b32d3f524924_Photoon2012-08-07at15_262.jpg.3c9f5367ddb8c4c81d1e6b7628bd9f3b.jpg

Propecia does not always regrow hair, but it does appear to be doing what it does for most people...stabilize your hair loss. If you haven't lost anything since then, I believe it's working for you, and you should continue use indefinitely. It did seem like you were going to get much worse in the crown, but now it seems virtually the same so that's a good sign. Starting rogaine certainly won't hurt, but you should just know that you may experience a similar shedding period in the 2-4 month mark just like in propecia. You should only start rogaine if you plan on committing to it just like propecia. If you experience redness and burning from rogaine you should stop use immediately. You may want to use something like Neutrogena T Gel to help dry scalp.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the reply! How much does the average crown bald spot get bigger a year? Is it fast or very slow?

Could Nioxin from November 2011 cause my current scalp redness/ dryness? My scalp is red, so does that mean I cant start rogaine? Could the dry scalp cause me to lose more hair?

Also I am meeting with my dermatologist in 2 weeks, what questions would you recommend?

I received my propecia perscription from a medical dr, not a dermatologist.

Everyone balds at a different pace so it's difficult to near impossible to say what's average in terms of how much you can lose in a year. Nioxin could cause irritation so I would suggest speaking with your dermatologist. I would not start rogaine until the redness is gone. It is important to keep your scalp healthy so keeping it clean and moisturized is important. Your dermatologist may have something to suggest for that as well.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you very much for your help! You have been very helpful.

Can dry scalp cause me to lose more hair? And worse case scenerio it does cause me to lose hair, is it possible to grow the hair back I lost due to the dry red scalp ( if it goes away) or is it gone forever?

The thing that bothers me the most is its red 8 months after using it for 2 weeks. If that is even possible?

It's rare for dry scalp to cause hair loss. You may be experiencing seborrhoeic dermatitis which is when your scalp has an overproduction of oils causing irritation. This once again should be looked at by your dermatologist, but again not likely to be the cause of hair loss. Most likely it's genetic.