Normal to have white things on head after 5 days?

I'm 5 days in and after this morning's shower it looks like I have a bad case of dandruff. Is this normal?

Yes, don't worry, I had a ton of dried, peeling skin in recipient. Should be gone after another week or so...

I know I'm not supposed to do it, but I can rub the palm of my hand down my head and pick up all kinds of little white pieces of skin. It feels like I have sand on my head that I'm rubbing off. I'm 7 days past the procedure. Impossible these could be hair follicles, correct?

I know I'm not supposed to do it, but I can rub the palm of my hand down my head and pick up all kinds of little white pieces of skin. It feels like I have sand on my head that I'm rubbing off. I'm 7 days past the procedure. Impossible these could be hair follicles, correct?

Unless there's blood you're good to go

For most post op concerns, a patient should consult with their clinic regarding to get their specific advice. However, this is a pretty common question. If our patient had the same question, we'd reply with the following -

The white things are part of the tissue that is attached to the graft. A little bit of the tissue (1mm) is left sticking up on top of the scalp when grafts are planted. The tissue begins to dry right away producing a scab but when rehydrated during shampoos, they puff up and turn very white for an hour or two then dries again. After 5-7 days post op, you should begin to massage the recipient area during shampoos to help ease off the scabs. After two weeks post op, the scabs should be gone. If you continue to have dry scalp, you can use an anti dandruff shampoo to clear it up.