White dots for surfers?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if sun exposure in the years after a HT could possibly cause white dots in the recipient area? I take long surf trips every year and even with sunblock I do get a LOT of sun.

I know not to to have any exposure for the first 9(?) months to avoid any damage that might cause but I'm talking about after that, and for the rest of my life.

Thanks,

MAGNUMpi :cool:

P.S. Could serious exposure to salt water also potentially damage a HT?

Magnum,

You can get white dots anywhere on your body including your recipient area from the sun.. I'm 34 years old and am getting more noticeable withe dots all over my body from the sun.. I would try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.. Wear plenty of sunscreen as well.. A hat would be great when not in the water.. Salt water shouldn't damage a hair transplant but there is always a possibility.. Nothing is guaranteed with hair..

Formertrackstar

I agree that some people are just prone to getting hypopigmented spots(white spots) when they get to much direct sun exposure. I have seen some cool hats that surfers wear while surfing. I do not think that having had a previous hair transplant increases the incidence of hypopigmentation after sun exposure.

You do not need to wait 9 months to go into the ocean or back into the sun, that is beyond what is necessary. Salt water does not damage your hair or cause your hair to fall out. That being said you shouldn't get a lot of sun or go swimming for the first 4-5 weeks after your procedure as the hairs and your scalp are still healing and not quite ready for that. After that amount of time you are ok to resume those activities but be safe and use sunscreen and protect your scalp if it's seriously exposed to the sun for hours at a time.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

MAGNUMpi,

Something else to keep in mind regarding sun exposure. If you are considering FUE, and plan on keeping a very short hairstyle, then donor scars will not tan like unscarred skin. You'd have to take great care to keep your donor covered with copious amounts of high SPF sunblock or else you'll be left with a noticeable contrast between the scars and your normal skin. The darker the skin, the more obvious the scarring.

This thread shows a dark-skinned gentleman who got FUE:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166527-these-typical-fue-scars.html

You can use his case as an example of how dark skin (natural or from the sun) and FUE scars don't go well together.

z