Do doctors and consultants accurately predict future hairloss?

I have had a run of patients recently who have either seen other local doctors for consultations, or who have had procedures in the past and now have lost more hair. A common theme has been: "well the consultant told me I was (or was not) going to lose that hair so I might as well (or not) fix it".

I am pretty frank with folks and admit:

1. If I could predict the future, I wouldn't be doing hair work, but picking stocks or making bets in Vegas.

2. Since a major component of eventual hair loss is genes AND luck, I can GUESTIMATE potential loss if "everyone in the family" has a certain pattern, but its only a guess.

So my question with this thread is, particularly among the posters who had procedures many years ago, were your doctor's predictions right? Again this isn't posed to the guys who rolled in with Class 6, but to folks who had some limited loss....were you directed to a smaller focused case, or to a large do everything case?

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have had a run of patients recently who have either seen other local doctors for consultations, or who have had procedures in the past and now have lost more hair. A common theme has been: "well the consultant told me I was (or was not) going to lose that hair so I might as well (or not) fix it".

I am pretty frank with folks and admit:

1. If I could predict the future, I wouldn't be doing hair work, but picking stocks or making bets in Vegas.

2. Since a major component of eventual hair loss is genes AND luck, I can GUESTIMATE potential loss if "everyone in the family" has a certain pattern, but its only a guess.

So my question with this thread is, particularly among the posters who had procedures many years ago, were your doctor's predictions right? Again this isn't posed to the guys who rolled in with Class 6, but to folks who had some limited loss....were you directed to a smaller focused case, or to a large do everything case?

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians