Huge Shock loss with third HT

jassivirk

Hi All,

I had my third HT with Dr. Madhu on Apr 15th 2012. Prior to this I had two HT's with Dr. Ron Shapiro, in 2009 and 2005. All the HT's have been in the frontal area. The problem now is that I have huge shock loss in my donor area which I did not experience with Dr. Shapiro at all.

The hair above and below the strip is gone and gives a wide bald strip on my donor area. The sutures done were with Nylon. Could this be the reason for this shock loss. ? Do hair normally grow back.? It has been 2 mnths already and I fear the worse. I checked with Dr. Madhu's clinic and as per them, they grow back. This is the first time I have experienced so much shock loss in my donor area. I have been taking Finpecia as prescribed by Dr. Madhu. Please assure me with your comments.

Thanks,

Hi there,

I understand your worrying however even though none of us enjoy shockloss it is common in the donar area. Plus the fact this is your 3rd strip procedure with more scar tissue there, it would probably be more common. It will grow back :)

Just need to be patient. If you look through many blogs on here you will see endless cases of people suffering shockloss and it always grows back in time

Try not to worry

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I agree that it is likely that you will experience regrowth in the donor area and that the chance of having shock loss in the donor area is more commen when a patient has had multiple procedures. However, shock loss in the donor area is actually not that common. I have only had a few cases in the past 15 years.

Dr. Glenn.... that is very sad to know the hair will not grow back. I wish I knew about this, I would not have gone for the third HT at the cost of loosing hair for ever around donor area. In my first two HT's with Dr. Shapiro, there was no shock loss at all.

So what do people do in such a case, do they go in for an FUE to cover the area around the scar which has lost hair due to shock loss?

Hey Mate,

When we have suffered hair loss; we have a heightened senses when it comes to any form of hair loss. However, your multiples surgeries may have contributed to this. This is not unusual. You did the right thing by checking with your surgeon. Give it sometime and see where it leads. I am certain it is not pleasing you now but hang in there. Many have experienced what you have from HT. All the best Michael. :)

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

I had huge shockloss in the recipient area and donor on my second ht then my 3rd was barely any shockloss I'd wager it to grow back I believe that it just depends where your hair is in the 7 year growth cycle. See my blog below for pictures you'll be fine.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk