new to this need advice

plyguy49

i need advice..a few months back i went to my doctor and asked for a script for propecia, and she gave it to me,but a i never filled it because she really couldn't answer questions. what should i expect ,shedding process,regiment,etc. looking for advice since recently i have noticed my hair really thinning and dont want to shave my head. i am now wanting to get a new script and start. i did try generic minoxodil and seemed to be good for awhile then bam thinned out and stopped putting it on. i am 36,norwood 5 ,i was gradually thinning and all of a sudden i started seeing scalp. advice is really welcomed. it really bothers me and my wife tells me she is sick of hearing about it and should get a ht,but i read posts on here and most say to try propecia for a year first.

i need advice..a few months back i went to my doctor and asked for a script for propecia, and she gave it to me,but a i never filled it because she really couldn't answer questions. what should i expect ,shedding process,regiment,etc. looking for advice since recently i have noticed my hair really thinning and dont want to shave my head. i am now wanting to get a new script and start. i did try generic minoxodil and seemed to be good for awhile then bam thinned out and stopped putting it on. i am 36,norwood 5 ,i was gradually thinning and all of a sudden i started seeing scalp. advice is really welcomed. it really bothers me and my wife tells me she is sick of hearing about it and should get a ht,but i read posts on here and most say to try propecia for a year first.

Are you willing to upload a couple of photos? You will get the best feedback with them...

If you're at an advanced hair loss stage, i.e. advanced norwood 5,6,7 then it is usually less important to get on the meds provided you have a good donor area. This is because there is (usually) less DHT-affected hair left to be 'retained' so further loss is often less of a concern. (But taking meds is always a good idea to try to maximise your overall result)

Propecia effects take about 12 months to be visually noticeable which is why people on here recommend 'trying it for a year'.

Minoxidil normally shows results after about 4 months.

With a high norwood number you will never get a full head of hair back with a HT but if done artistically you can get an improved appearance. For example:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/165801-dr-b-farjo-3650-fug.html

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day