On Hrt (testosterone) propecia?

been pn Hrt (testosterone) for over 5 years ..first couple years seemed ok..then I developed seborrheic dermatitis around my nose..then my scalp started itching like crazy...tried many dr. prescribed shampoos as well as over the counter...nothing has helped...hair loss started about 3 years ago . the issue now is my scalp is irritated constantly...

my only thought now is propecia...i had blood drawn 3 times over past 6 months my dht was between 80-95 each time...labcorp range 30-85..

i am not asking any doctors here to prescribe me anything . I am just looking for some input if i sound like someone who would benefit from propecia and if so to what extent...could it grow back hair lost over the past 4 years. thank you

WOW! Same here! I went on HRT a few years ago. I switched from topical to injectable and got seborrheic dermatitis around my nose. My understanding is with more testosterone there is more oil production which causes that condition. I put a cream on my nose that got rid of it. Go to a dermatologist and let them know you are on HRT. They can give you something that will take care of all of those conditions. I had two doctors who had exact opposite opinions on Propecia. I was left to decide on my own what to do. My decision was made when it did funky things to my libido. We need DHT for a reason. Maybe not high levels but we need it at certain levels. Maybe you could consider taking a low dose of Propecia to lower it a bit but not to levels low enough to cause libido issues.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

well that is what i was hopeing not to hear...i was thinking taking testosterone may help sexual issues...

so far 3 hair replacement dr.s told me no big fans of propecia...

i also see 2 derm's and they both say try it see what happens...

i see you tried jeff epstein any results at all>?

me zip 1 1/2 years later no growth at all

Testosterone will help sexual issues. It can help libido. It is somewhat effective for ED but ED medication is probably better for that. I'm not a big fan of Propecia either. We have DHT in our bodies for a reason. It is the most potent form of testosterone which gives male charactaristics. You don't want it too high but you also don't want it low. Medium range is best. Terrible results from Epstein and I receive private messages from others saying the same thing. Stopping testosterone would most likely lower your DHT but if you are low in testosterone you probably don't want to go off HRT. Many studies have shown men who have higher levels of testosterone live longer, have lower rates of heart disease and stroke. At one time it was thought testosterone caused prostate cancer but there is no evidence to support that anywhere. In fact current thinking is that high levels of estrogen may cause it. As we age our testosterone declines and our estogen rises. Men are not designed to have high levels of estrogen in their bodies. I think you should stay on HRT and maybe try a low dose of Propecia to get your DHT to a level you are comfortable with. That's my two cents.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• 8 months later...

would like to re-open this:

i would like to hear some thoughts on trt,propecia and exactually what does propecia do beside lower dht to allow hair maintaince vs hair regrowth.

bigger question to tie this all together....

if one take testosterone for years and raises dht to a high level and creates hair loss....test blood dht level 80 range 30-75 ...then goes off testosterone

tests blood dht 46 (range 30-75)

would one suspect to achieve the same results as propecia?

hair regrowth ;thickening; ? and now be able to try rogaine?? ( as we know rogaine is useless in the fight against dht)

• 4 weeks later...
Testosterone will help sexual issues. It can help libido. It is somewhat effective for ED but ED medication is probably better for that. I'm not a big fan of Propecia either. We have DHT in our bodies for a reason. It is the most potent form of testosterone which gives male charactaristics. You don't want it too high but you also don't want it low. Medium range is best. Terrible results from Epstein and I receive private messages from others saying the same thing. Stopping testosterone would most likely lower your DHT but if you are low in testosterone you probably don't want to go off HRT. Many studies have shown men who have higher levels of testosterone live longer, have lower rates of heart disease and stroke. At one time it was thought testosterone caused prostate cancer but there is no evidence to support that anywhere. In fact current thinking is that high levels of estrogen may cause it. As we age our testosterone declines and our estogen rises. Men are not designed to have high levels of estrogen in their bodies. I think you should stay on HRT and maybe try a low dose of Propecia to get your DHT to a level you are comfortable with. That's my two cents.

I had a big surgery 6 yrs ago and part of my medication now include Testosterone shot every 2 weeks. l was wondering if this is the reason my whole crown area fell out. l am reluctant to undergo any more HT because l feel the result will be bad since l am expect to remain on Testosterone therapy for indefinite time.

Had anyone had any similar experience /